Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Move Oracle 11gr2 database to new Windows server? (Oracle 11.2.0.2 Windows 2008 R2)
Move Oracle 11gr2 database to new Windows server? [message #617258] Thu, 26 June 2014 09:32 Go to next message
VAtechie
I'm more a SQL DBA but been tasked to move an Oracle 11gr2 database from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 R2 server. No db upgrade is involved. Trying to figure out the easiest method for moving the database to a new server. In SQL I would perform either a native backup/restore or detach the database from the source, copy over the data/log files and attach them to the new server instance. Is it similar in Oracle?

I have not found any concrete Oracle articles on the best method for moving databases. I'm still learning so if anyone can give me a quick overview of steps involved to move with either RMAN or simply copying over the data/redo/control files...etc that would be great.

Any input appreciated.
Re: Move Oracle 11gr2 database to new Windows server? [message #617261 is a reply to message #617258] Thu, 26 June 2014 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
1) SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
2) copy all necessary file from old server to new server to same directory locations
3) STARTUP
Re: Move Oracle 11gr2 database to new Windows server? [message #617271 is a reply to message #617258] Thu, 26 June 2014 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
How big is the database?
What is your outage window?

Blackswan's advice is one solution, but taking that solution it is incomplete for a Windows environment. To expand a bit on that solution:

Identify all the files that belong to the database - data files, online redo logs, control files, init files (init<sid>.ora or spfile<sid>.ora; Copy them into the same-named directories on the target server.

Use the 'oradim' utility (see the docs at docs.oracle.com) to create the necessary database service.

THEN you can start the windows service which should start the database.

This does not account for configuring the listener, nor any jobs that have been set up in the OS scheduler.

This assumes you have already installed the correct Oracle rdbms software, same version and patch level as the original.

Another method would be to use oracle's backup/recovery tool 'rman' to DUPLICATE DATABASE.

Another method would be to pre-create a database, then use oracle's export utility (expdp) to export the the old database and the import utility (impdp) to import the resulting dump file into the new database.

An of the above (especially the last) would be pretty trivial for a moderately experienced oracle guy. If you have only a SQL sever experience, I feel for you. The entire architecture of Oracle is vastly different than SQL Server. Even the term 'database' has a very different meaning. I'm not getting into the merits of one vs. the other, just stating the important fact that they are *different*. And even having said that, I know that people who have worked only in one environment can't really appreciate the full meaning and extent of those differences, as they can only view the world through the one-and-only lens that they have.

All of that said, I'm curious -- if they have an oracle database to be moved, one would think they have an oracle dba. Why isn't he tasked with this?

[Updated on: Thu, 26 June 2014 10:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Move Oracle 11gr2 database to new Windows server? [message #617272 is a reply to message #617271] Thu, 26 June 2014 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VAtechie
EdStevens wrote on Thu, 26 June 2014 10:33
How big is the database?
What is your outage window?

Database is about 300GB with a weekend outage window.

Blackswan's advice is one solution, but taking that solution it is incomplete for a Windows environment. To expand a bit on that solution:

Identify all the files that belong to the database - data files, online redo logs, control files, init files (init<sid>.ora or spfile<sid>.ora; Copy them into the same-named directories on the target server.

Use the 'oradim' utility (see the docs at docs.oracle.com) to create the necessary database service.

THEN you can start the windows service which should start the database.

This does not account for configuring the listener, nor any jobs that have been set up in the OS scheduler.

This assumes you have already installed the correct Oracle rdbms software, same version and patch level as the original.

Installing the software, copying the files, creating the service etc... seems to be a good approach as the database name would still be the same.

Another method would be to use oracle's backup/recovery tool 'rman' to DUPLICATE DATABASE.

Another method would be to pre-create a database, then use oracle's export utility (expdp) to export the the old database and the import utility (impdp) to import the resulting dump file into the new database.

An of the above (especially the last) would be pretty trivial for a moderately experienced oracle guy. If you have only a SQL sever experience, I feel for you. The entire architecture of Oracle is vastly different than SQL Server. Even the term 'database' has a very different meaning. I'm not getting into the merits of one vs. the other, just stating the important fact that they are *different*. And even having said that, I know that people who have worked only in one environment can't really appreciate the full meaning and extent of those differences, as they can only view the world through the one-and-only lens that they have.

All of that said, I'm curious -- if they have an oracle database to be moved, one would think they have an oracle dba. Why isn't he tasked with this?

The person quit and the department has a deadline to move off Windows 2003.

Re: Move Oracle 11gr2 database to new Windows server? [message #617286 is a reply to message #617258] Thu, 26 June 2014 14:28 Go to previous message
John Watson
Your first step is to install the Oracle Home. Make sure that the release you install is exactly the release on your older server (eg, 11.2.0.4 plus any patches that may have been applied). When you run the installer, do not select the option to create a database. Then proceed as Ed suggests.

But really, you might want to consider bringing in some outside help unless you can stand extended downtime.

Previous Topic: How to detect if a database needs recovery
Next Topic: oracle patchset for 11.2.0.4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:47:00 CDT 2024