Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database
Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614119] Fri, 16 May 2014 16:30 Go to next message
Mu889
Dear, members
this is my first post in this forum
I have a few experience as oracle DBA, and I'm learning it as Levels

I have an assignment and i need some help with justification for the answers:

If we have the following:
Server Hardware Specifications

Oracle 11g is installed.
Operating System is Windows Server.
Four disk drives (C, D, E and F).
Your server total RAM is 2 GB.

Application Specifications
Small size ERP application.
The application consists of the following modules:
Human Resources Module
Finance Module
Sales Module
6 employees are only allowed to connect concurrently to the database using their company desktops. No access is allowed from the internet.
No Java option is required with the application or database.

Database Specifications
Database name should be the same as your group (Example: G2 or G9).
Database Memory:
Our oracle database systemwide usable memory shall be 25% of the server memory.
Our oracle database systemwide usable memory shall not exceed 25% of the server memory during its lifetime.
Automatic Memory Management is enabled.
The database should not accept more than 75 database files during its lifetime.
Automatic undo management is required.
The database should be available 7/7 days, and 24/24 hours.
No data loss is allowed during the database lifetime.

The questions are:
Server Mode:

- What is the best server connection mode for our database?
MY ANSWER: I think that the best server connection mode is "dedicated server mode" (the default connection mode) because it's recommended for a client load of 50 users or fewer and for jobs that make consistent and long-standing requests from the database according to Oracle recommendations.
User and server processes are separate, with each user running his own dedicated server process.

- What is the initialization parameter file type you are going to use? Justify your answer.
I think it should be a spfile (text file) init.ora - is that right? -

- What is the best value for LARGE_POOL_SIZE? Justify your answer.
according for my information it should be 16MB at least. - is it right? -
- What is the best value for JAVA_POOL_SIZE? Justify your answer.
???
- What are the required initialization parameters related to memory that should be used to create the database? and what is their values?
???
Re: Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614122 is a reply to message #614119] Sat, 17 May 2014 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
I think it should be a spfile (text file) init.ora

This is inconsistent. It is either an init.ora file or a spfile file (or an init.ora file that just points to a spfile). Even if you can mix both it is a very bad idea.

For the pool sizes just read their purpose in Database Concepts and adjust them to your need. Example, if you do'nt use Java, it is useless to size Java pool size.

Last question is answered in the above book.

Good luck for your exam.

Re: Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614152 is a reply to message #614122] Sat, 17 May 2014 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mu889
thank you for your replay
i think that i did a mistake, you are right about initialization parameter file ^^.

but about the large_pool_size, is there any thing that enforces me to set a specified size?, because the question need to justify my answer!

about java_pool_size i think it my be 0KB because " No Java option is required with the application or database "
Re: Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614153 is a reply to message #614152] Sat, 17 May 2014 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
when all else fails, Read The Fine Manual

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e17615/refrn10078.htm#REFRN10078
Re: Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614155 is a reply to message #614119] Sat, 17 May 2014 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
looks like a bunch of "trick" questions.

What server has only 2gb total ram? This is the absolute minimum for Oracle 11.2 on a Windows platform. (You didn't specify the details on this supposed "server". Exactly what version of Windows, and if 32-bit or 64-bit?) Is it even possible to buy a server class machine with only 2-gb of ram? Is it even possible to buy a desktop class machine with only 2gb of ram? The cheapest consumer desktop I see on Dell's site is 4gb.

Windows will take 1gb of that 2gb.

Quote:
"Our oracle database systemwide usable memory shall not exceed 25% of the server memory during its lifetime."

So with 2gb of RAM, you want to limit your total allocation to Oracle at 512 mb. That's for the SGA and PGA, supporting 6 concurent connections."

Quote:
"The database should not accept more than 75 database files during its lifetime."

As memory serves me there is an init parameter to control the max files, but what kind of justifacation does such a requirement have?

Quote:
"The database should be available 7/7 days, and 24/24 hours.
No data loss is allowed during the database lifetime."

Now you are talking a lot of Hight Availablity options - Data Guard and RAC. Both of which are going to require multiple servers, the addition of Grid Infrastructure .. According to the GI installation Guide for Windows, the minimum memory is 4-gb - and you are limited to a machine with only half of that, and you are only allowd to use half of *that*.

Plus if you have to guarantee 24/7, you have to throw out Windows and go to an OS that does not have to be re-started every week.

In short, your "requirements" simply cannot be met. So are these real requirements that a business is putting to you? Or is this some sort of test/exam/learning exercise?
Re: Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614511 is a reply to message #614155] Thu, 22 May 2014 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mu889
Yes, i said that i have an exam. I know that this requirements is a virtual one for a real Server.
but i need an answers for my questions, please>>
Re: Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614524 is a reply to message #614511] Thu, 22 May 2014 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Mu889 wrote on Thu, 22 May 2014 12:57
Yes, i said that i have an exam.

You said you had an "assignment". I have assignments all the time. I can't remember the last time I had an "exam" (except by my doctor)

Quote:
I know that this requirements is a virtual one for a real Server.

Virtual requirements for a real server? I have no idea what that means.

Quote:
but i need an answers for my questions, please>>

I provided several answers that should guide you to whatever the deliverable is for your assignment/exam. Bottom line is there is simply no way all of the "requirements" can be met.
- Your "server", with its stated memory, isn't even capable of functioning as a reasonable desktop/workstation. To consider it for use as even a minimal database server is a joke.
- The further limitation of how much memory you are allowed to actually use means it will not meet even the minimum specification for hosting a minimal oracle database.
- The limitation on the number of data files in the database, while in itself could probably be met, is totally pointless, indicating that the person making such a 'requirement' hasn't a clue. As if the other "requirements" didn't already reveal it.
- The requirement for 24/7 availability with zero data loss cannot be met by any single-server installation, and doubly-so when that server is running Windows, with its frequent requirement for re-start.

Given all of the above, why should one even begin to address questions about dedicated vs. shared server, spfile vs. init.ora, pool size and other init parms? It is akin to being given the task of hauling a 10-ton load with a Mo-ped, and asking about what kind of tires you should use.

Re: Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614543 is a reply to message #614524] Fri, 23 May 2014 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
EdStevens

... task of hauling a 10-ton load with a Mo-ped ...

Why do you think that this is a problem? /forum/fa/917/0/

/forum/fa/11893/0/ /forum/fa/11894/0/
  • Attachment: moped.jpg
    (Size: 34.57KB, Downloaded 2281 times)
  • Attachment: moped2.jpg
    (Size: 40.44KB, Downloaded 2249 times)
Re: Planning and Creating an Oracle 11g Database [message #614567 is a reply to message #614543] Fri, 23 May 2014 07:33 Go to previous message
EdStevens
Laughing

Though I am compelled to ask, what weighs more, 40 pounds of Styrofoam, or 40 pounds of ducks?
Previous Topic: Oracle 11g r2 ( Amazon RDS instance )
Next Topic: Remote diagnostic agent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:42:34 CDT 2024