Home » Other » Training & Certification » Oracle Certification branded merchandise 'Goodies' not free (Oracle 11g)
Oracle Certification branded merchandise 'Goodies' not free [message #606047] Sat, 18 January 2014 04:23 Go to next message
rc3d
Hi

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/1007_04

Oracle recently launched a line of Oracle Certification branded merchandise so that you can display your Oracle credentials with pride. You are proud of your accomplishments and you should be. Show them off.

Based on an earlier survey, we have developed a line of Oracle Certification products to fit a variety of needs and budgets. Wear or carry your credentials with pride. Advertise your hard work and dedication to excellence at the office, at the gym, or anywhere in between with Oracle Certification branded shirts, journals and gym bags.

Oracle Certified individuals will access the store through CertView. The access code provided in CertView is required to enter the site.

Visit CertView now and begin advertising your accomplishments today!

Oracle is a robber baron. You need to pay T-Shirts and other stuff. I would prefer if they bundle a T-Shirt with certificate for free.
Because it's an ad for Oracle brand.

So I understand why Open Source scene don't wish to use Oracle code (even released under GPL or other free license). It's all about $$
Re: Oracle Certification branded merchandise 'Goodies' not free [message #606050 is a reply to message #606047] Sat, 18 January 2014 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You are given something for OCM, I had a fleece for 10g and a sweatshirt thing for 11g.

Thankyou for pointing out this service. In the past, I have had to buy unbranded stuff and then arrange for a local embroiderer to put on the logos which is more expensive and a hassle.
Re: Oracle Certification branded merchandise 'Goodies' not free [message #606055 is a reply to message #606047] Sat, 18 January 2014 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
Oracle is a robber baron. You need to pay T-Shirts and other stuff. I would prefer if they bundle a T-Shirt with certificate for free. Because it's an ad for Oracle brand.

I think it'd be great if Oracle would throw in a free car wash and maybe mow my lawn for a few weeks for every test I passed. That's not going to happen either.

There are several problems with your statement. One of the biggest is that the money from OCP-branded merchandise won't even make a blip on Oracle's balance sheet. The majority of the price will eaten up by the product itself. Of the profit, the vast majority will go to the company that is creating he branded merchandise. Oracle may in fact be getting no cut at all, but rather simply granting the branding company permission to create Oracle-branded merchandise. As you say, they have a stake in people displaying the brand. The company I work for contracted with a firm to create shirts & jackets and such branded with their logo. There is no cut coming back to the company -- they just would like employees to buy the shirts/etc. as advertisement.

As to getting the merchandise for passing the exam -- are you willing to pay an extra $25 for each certification exam to cover the cost? Since the price of the shirts is an inelastic cost, Oracle would have to raise the price of the exams equally across all countries to pay for the cost of including it. In fact, to really be fair, overseas countries that currently get reduced rates on exams would need to pay a larger amount than us candidates due to the increased cost of shipping, not to mention the price of 'lost' shipments. OU recently changed to e-certificates for candidates in many countries due to the large number of certificates that were reported as lost in shipping. Re-shipments were expensive enough for Oracle when the only thing lost was a few sheets of paper. The same shipping losses with $25 in merchandise would quickly add up.

Ultimately, the value of getting an Oracle certification still lies primarily in what you learn from having studied for the exams, followed (distantly) by the privilege of being able to put the credentials on your resume. The privilege of being able to wear a shirt with a logo on it is way down the list of importance. I suppose you could wear the shirt to an interview. However, if I were interviewing a candidate for an Oracle position, I'm not really sure if I would grant them points for that, take points away, or (knowing how much attention I pay to people's clothes) even notice.

If you want the shirt -- buy the shirt. If you don't -- don't. OU making the stuff available does not make Oracle an evil corporation.
Re: Oracle Certification branded merchandise 'Goodies' not free [message #606056 is a reply to message #606055] Sat, 18 January 2014 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
matthewmorris68 wrote on Sat, 18 January 2014 09:06

As to getting the merchandise for passing the exam -- are you willing to pay an extra $25 for each certification exam to cover the cost?

yes sure! I am a nerd, I like tech T-Shirts.

Oracle is an evil corporation. Other example:

I am finally SQL Expert; after really hard work. My job responsibility shifted to MySQL (Oracle DB being phase outed as soon as possible in our division). So I wish to take the Oracle Certified Professional, MySQL 5.6 Developer exam. I guess my preparation effort will be 120h - 160h, because I already know the Oracle DB basics. My boss paid me SQL Fundamentals and Admin I OU training and don't wish to pay me MySQL training. I understand him, because I don't need to learn from zero, I need only to convert my skills.

Sadly no study guide for 1Z0-882 available. The eKit 1Z0-882 you don't find in torrents and sharing communities. I don't understand why Oracle doesn't offer all eKit downloads for free??!! It's in Oracle interest that a lot of people know their products. For example I am 24 years old and the future of Oracle.

Microsoft offers an official study guide for every exam they offer. And Microsoft is not a holy company, but better.

MOD EDIT: E-mail address removed.
Re: Oracle Certification branded merchandise 'Goodies' not free [message #606057 is a reply to message #606056] Sat, 18 January 2014 11:49 Go to previous message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
yes sure! I am a nerd, I like tech T-Shirts.

So where's the difference between paying more for the certification exam (which you might fail) and paying afterward once you pass?

Quote:
Sadly no study guide for 1Z0-882 available.

Give it time. The test isn't even in production yet.

Quote:
I don't understand why Oracle doesn't offer all eKit downloads for free??!! It's in Oracle interest that a lot of people know their products.

I don't understand why Oracle bothers training people at all. Oracle skills are valuable enough that it is in their own best interest to learn on their own so that someone will give them a job. Wink

Jokes aside -- eKits are the materials for OU courses. Giving them away for free would be like me giving away my study guides for free. Great for the people not paying anything, but it would leave me no reason whatsoever to write them. They have to pay someone to create the material in those eKits. If you get right down do it, they also have to pay someone to make the documentation for Oracle products. The documentation is a perfectly legitimate place to learn everything that is required to pass the exams and won't cost you a thing to download the manuals for any Oracle product currently available.

Oracle University and the Oracle certification program exist only because it is in Oracle's interests to have lots of people knowledgeable about their products. In Oracle's FY2011 Consolidated Statement of Operations (the latest one I found via a quick search), the revenues from Education (which I assume includes the certification program) accounted for a bit under one percent of Oracle's total revenue. This is before expenses (which weren't broken out to that level). I seriously doubt that OU is one of their higher margin areas, so it is most likely well under 1% of their total profit for the year.
Previous Topic: GUIDANCE
Next Topic: Hi all
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:36:22 CDT 2024