Home » Other » Training & Certification » Quality of demo questions
Quality of demo questions [message #602701] Sat, 07 December 2013 03:49 Go to next message
Frank Naude
I found this question - repeated across several sites:

Examine the current value for the following parameters in your database instance:

SGA_MAX_SIZE = 1024M
SGA_TARGET = 700M
DB_8K_CACHE_SIZE = 124M
LOG_BUFFER = 200M

You issue the following command to increase the value of DB_8K_CACHE_SIZE:
SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET DB_8K_CACHE_SIZE=140M;

Which statement is true?

A. It fails because the DB_8K_CACHE_SIZE parameter cannot be changed dynamically.
B. It succeeds only if memory is available from the autotuned components if SGA.
C. It fails because an increase in DB_8K_CACHE_SIZE cannot be accommodated within SGA_TARGET.

D. It fails because an increase in DB_8K_CACHE_SIZE cannot be accommodated within SGA_MAX_SIZE.

Oddly enough the answer is indicated as D!
I thought B would be more appropriate, as Oracle may be able to reduce the size of auto tuned components (in SGA_TARGET) to accommodate the increase in DB_8K_CACHE_SIZE (or not?).

What do you guys think?
Re: Quality of demo questions [message #602707 is a reply to message #602701] Sat, 07 December 2013 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You made me check the exam guides I've written for Oracle Press - I don't think the question came from one of them. I hope not, because I agree with you. I wonder where it did come from? If it was on several sites, they are probably a illegal copies of something that is actually quite respectable. If so, I do have sympathy with the author: mistakes always get through, no matter how careful you are and how good your technical editor is.

If anyone is planning on doing the 12c exams, be warned! I did the first DBA exam a few weeks go when it was still in beta, and I thought it was hard. Much harder than in any earlier releases. Whereas the 12c New Features exam (which I also did in beta) I thought was OK - no more difficult than the previous ones.
Re: Quality of demo questions [message #603843 is a reply to message #602707] Thu, 19 December 2013 13:29 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
Thanks for the reply. It's a VERY old question and probably not that relevant any longer (unless as an example of how not to do it). I just thought it's strange that it is repeated on so many sites, yet they all got it wrong.

SGA_TARGET dates back to 10g. An Oracle 11g exam would probably rather question you on MEMORY_TARGET/MAX_SIZE. God forbid finding something like this in a 12c exam!
Previous Topic: Oracle SOA/BPEL 11g Online Training
Next Topic: Oracle Applications Financial Online Training in Hyderabad, Bangalore,
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:34:03 CDT 2024