Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How to recover a database having only the DBF and CTL files, and no other information? (Oracle)
icon5.gif  How to recover a database having only the DBF and CTL files, and no other information? [message #598555] Tue, 15 October 2013 13:37 Go to next message
lfmeier2
Hello,

I have the following situation: a customer sent me a group of files, that he said to be a "backup" of an old database, that is no longer online (he doesn´t use our software anymore). However, he needs to recover the data in this database. The person at the company who generate these files doesn´t work there anymore, so we don´t have any of the following information:

- Database version, connection details, service names, user names neither tablespace names.

We were just told that these files were recorded in a DVD, and is que only source remaining.
The files he sent are the following:

ctrl\cf_satp_01.ctl
ctrl\cf_satp_02.ctl
ctrl\cf_satp_03.ctl
dad\df_satp_dad_01.dbf
idx\df_satp_idx_01.dbf
rbs\df_satp_rbs_01.dbf
redo\redo_g10_m1.dbf
redo\redo_g11_m1.dbf
redo\redo_g12_m1.dbf
sap\df_satp_sap_01.dbf
spo\df_satp_spo_01.dbf
sys\df_satp_sys_01.dbf
tmp\df_satp_tmp_01.dbf

Is there a way to access this data? Or can I tell our costumer that sorry.. sit down and cry.. your data is lost forever..

I´m not familiar with Oracle database backups, having worked with dumps everytime a needed something like this, so apologies if the answer is obvious.

Sorry for the poor english too!
Thanks,
Luiz Fernando Meier
Re: How to recover a database having only the DBF and CTL files, and no other information? [message #598557 is a reply to message #598555] Tue, 15 October 2013 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
If there is to be any hope to access the data, you will need the EXACT (to 4 decimal places) version of Oracle software that last accessed the file.
Unless & until the correct Oracle version exists or gets installed, NOTHING can be done by you with the files.
Re: How to recover a database having only the DBF and CTL files, and no other information? [message #598561 is a reply to message #598557] Tue, 15 October 2013 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lfmeier2
As my client doesn´t have this information to send me, I think this is it!

Thank you man!
icon4.gif  Re: How to recover a database having only the DBF and CTL files, and no other information? [message #598568 is a reply to message #598555] Tue, 15 October 2013 14:25 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

With a good DBA there is a chance to get back the database but it is not an easy task and surely not one that you can explain in a forum.
I advise you to find and hire a real senior DBA for this.

Previous Topic: Connection to Rman
Next Topic: Backup control file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:00:41 CDT 2024