Home » Infrastructure » Linux » external user authentication in Oracle 9i R2 Linux
external user authentication in Oracle 9i R2 Linux [message #53327] Thu, 12 September 2002 10:07 Go to next message
Rick Root
i'm running Oracle 9i Release 2 on Redhat Advanced Server 2.1

Everything is going wonderfully, except that I can't get external authentication to work.

I have created a user in the database with DBA,CONNECT,RESOURCE privileges named "ORACLE", with password identified externally, and then I log into the box as "oracle" and try "sqlplus /" and I get invalid username/password.

I've also tried the same with the database username as "oracle" (lowercase, which cannot be done from the Enterprise Manager), and have the same problem.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

- Rick Root
Re: external user authentication in Oracle 9i R2 Linux [message #55357 is a reply to message #53327] Mon, 20 January 2003 08:51 Go to previous message
Otar Gvassalia
You have to change init.ora file and specify the following variables:

OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX ""
REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT true

If you do not specify the first variable, the user should have "ops$" prefix in the username.

Example 1:
OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX ""
username = oracle
password = oracle

Example 2 (OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX is not specifyed):
username = ops$oracle
password = oracle

Do not forget to reboot oracle after changing the init.ora file and recreate the user.

Do not forget also that shell translates '$' signe when you type it on the shell prompt.
Previous Topic: Oracle(winNT) Connectivity with Java(Linxu)
Next Topic: Oracle 9.2 installation fails at 66%
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:52:36 CDT 2024