Home » Other » Training & Certification » Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration? (WinXP)
Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration? [message #590614] Sat, 20 July 2013 06:20 Go to next message
marksquall
Dear members and administrators,

Hello and a greeting of peace.

I am new to Oracle database, and I just want to familiarize myself with the RDBMS so I installed Oracle 10g XE and tried to click here and there, try some queries (using the hr account), for simple data extractions (my basic knowledge in SQL). I am using the Web interface, but someone said I could use an IDE (almost similar to Microsoft SQL Server) so that my Oracle database experience would be a breeze. I would like to have a list of those IDE so I could try it on my own, please?

But the main reason for this thread is that I would like to have ebook/s with such topics like how to use the Oracle properly (installation, simple user management, etc.), execute SQL specific for Oracle from basic to intermediate to advance (if any), etc.

Could someone would be nice to recommend such ebook/s? Smile
Thank you and more power.

Respectfully Yours,

MarkSquall
Re: Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration? [message #590617 is a reply to message #590614] Sat, 20 July 2013 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Here you go,

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/homepage

start with the Concepts Guide.

but really, you should consider installing the current release, which is 12.1. Release 10.2 drops out of Extended Support into Sustaining Support (ie, pretty much unsupported) at the end of this month.
Re: Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration? [message #590625 is a reply to message #590614] Sat, 20 July 2013 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

As John indicated, the concepts guide is an excellent start for people new to Oracle. The 2-Day DBA book on the same URL he gave, however, comes a bit closer to the specific topics you asked about (basic administration tasks, etc). The SQL Reference on that page can help you with the proper syntax for Oracle queries.

I agree with John that using XE 10 is not the ideal option. However, since Oracle has not yet released an XE version for 12c, I would suggest that you install XE 11G so you are on a more current release.

As far as an IDE, you can download and use Oracle's SQL Developer application for free. Google 'oracle sql developer' to find download links. There are many others, but most (possibly all) are not free.
Re: Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration? [message #590654 is a reply to message #590614] Sun, 21 July 2013 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dariyoosh
Another option for IDE (among others) is TOra

But, IMHO, the best option for a beginner is actually SQL*Plus, where you have to write explicitly commands and thanks to that become more and more familiar with dictionary, system commands, etc.

Regards,
Dariyoosh
Re: Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration? [message #590668 is a reply to message #590614] Sun, 21 July 2013 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
Could someone would be nice to recommend such ebook/s?

Should have thought to offer before. You didn't ask for videos, but I have been collecting links to Oracle instructional videos on YouTube. They are listed on my Oracle Certification website where they are appropriate for various exams. A number of intro videos are available on the details page for the 1Z0-051 exam:

http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-051
Re: Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration? [message #590725 is a reply to message #590614] Mon, 22 July 2013 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marksquall
John Watson:

Thank you for the site, I am currently reading them step by step.

matthewmorris68, dariyoosh:

Thank you for the names of the IDEs...I heard the application named Toad, is that almost the same as the other IDE mentioned before?

matthewmorris68:

So would you recommend uninstalling 10G XE and replace that with 11G XE? Or should I keep both installed on my laptop?

Thank you for the link you gave, I had already bookmarked it. Actually requesting for e-learning videos on Oracle is the first thing that comes to my mind, but I know everyone has more idea (or rather copy/links, etc.) on e-books, that is why I requested for it.

Thank you so much guys... Smile

Warm regards,

MarkSquall
Re: Any recommended ebooks on Basic Oracle Administration? [message #590734 is a reply to message #590725] Mon, 22 July 2013 11:23 Go to previous message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
Or should I keep both installed on my laptop?

I can think of no reason whatsoever to keep both. I'd uninstall 10G and install 11G.

Quote:
I heard the application named Toad, is that almost the same as the other IDE mentioned before?

TOAD is an extremely full-featured and extremely expensive IDE. SQL Developer will get you probably 60% of the features that TOAD has for free. That said, the features it gives you are the ones you need 95% of the time. Smile
Previous Topic: Oracle Training On Genuine Licenced Software@Eminent
Next Topic: OCM certification for PL/SQL developers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:37:54 CDT 2024