Home » Other » General » Best questions to ask when creating someone a database.
Best questions to ask when creating someone a database. [message #586257] Wed, 05 June 2013 00:17 Go to next message
deco
Hi everyone,

I am new here.
I have to go to a meeting and find out what a group of people want from their database which will most likely consist of a few tables and a form(s).

I appreciate if anyone could give some help about any good questions that I should be asking them about their requirements, goals, aims, expectations and things like that?

Any help is good help!
Thanks,
Deco.
Re: Best questions to ask when creating someone a database. [message #586262 is a reply to message #586257] Wed, 05 June 2013 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Just execute dbca, follow the screen and everywhere you have something to enter or choose it is a good question to ask to your client.

Regards
Michel
Re: Best questions to ask when creating someone a database. [message #586267 is a reply to message #586262] Wed, 05 June 2013 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Michel, I think that it is not a database he's going to create, but a schema ("a few tables and forms"), so - DBCA won't be used here.

How much do you (Deco) know about Oracle?

Good questions? You already named them. They should describe what they want, what is the input and what is the output. They need to describe processes, one by one, in details, and you'll have to take notes in order to create an application which will meet their needs. Because, you most probably don't know anything about the area they are dealing with so - how can you design anything if they don't tell you what it exactly is?

Here's a short Wiki Database design article which might be worth reading.
Re: Best questions to ask when creating someone a database. [message #586371 is a reply to message #586267] Wed, 05 June 2013 10:57 Go to previous message
deco
Ok Littlefoot,

I appreciate your help and for sure I´ll read the article.

Thanks Littlefoot and Michel.
Deco.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 June 2013 11:00]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Apply PSU and CPU patchs
Next Topic: Structural differences between two different databases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:13:34 CDT 2024