Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Mouse navigation validatation (Forms Builder 11g)
Mouse navigation validatation [message #583880] Mon, 06 May 2013 07:45 Go to next message
neimad
Hello everyone.

I would like to know if with Oracle Forms Builder 11g, we can use mouse instead of TAB to validate record? And why Forms Builder use TAB or ENTER Key to validate record? I have a SAVE button, but i want to replace the TAB navigation validation by the mouse click. Is it possible?

Thanks for your advise.
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #583883 is a reply to message #583880] Mon, 06 May 2013 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM fires when you try to navigate out of the current item; if validation fails, focus remains in that item. TAB and ENTER keys do that - change focus to another item. Now, saying that they cause record validation might be true if you set form behavior so that - when you are on the last record item - TAB / ENTER navigate to a new record (so record validation is going to happen). Or, if you create a KEY-NEXT-ITEM trigger on some item "in the middle of the record" which also navigates to a new record, the same thing happens.

Mouse? Well, I suppose it *should* work OK (don't have Forms here so I can't test it; furthermore, I don't have Forms 11 at all). Where do you navigate with a mouse to? Another record? Are these items "mouse navigable"?
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #583884 is a reply to message #583880] Mon, 06 May 2013 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neimad
Hi,

thanks for your reply.

The system works really good with TAB or Enter key, the mouse click works too if i change record, the problem, is in my form, i have action to validate textbox for exemple, the user want to stop using tab to make the action on the textbox but use mouse click.

Example : User enter date, after entering Date, they click every where in the form to validate the date, for now i can create a when-mouse-down trigger on the date textbox, but i don't want to generate trigger on each textbox to validate something.
They want to be independant on the block, or canvas, like if i have a canvas tab, and they click on master details, that validate canvas tab block.

Is that possible? I found nothing on that except with TAB key or ENTER Key..

thanks
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #583887 is a reply to message #583884] Mon, 06 May 2013 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
i don't want to generate trigger on each textbox to validate something

Well, maybe you should. I prefer validating items instantly, not as part of a record. Suppose that there's a record that contains 30 items. User enters different values (numbers, characters, dates, checkboxes, whatever) and - once he's over - he tries to save a record and then you start validation. You'll probably validate each item; then you'll inform user that there's an error "somewhere" in that record. Or you may even develop logic to point to an item that is faulty. User fixes it, saves the record again - you validate it, and inform user that yet another item is invalid. And another, and another.

Therefore, I'd opt for WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM triggers and notify user instantly: "Hey, value you entered into that item is invalid - fix it before moving to another item!"
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #583889 is a reply to message #583880] Mon, 06 May 2013 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neimad
thanks again for your answer,

Well, i think you are right, i have no choice, to have trigger on each item.

And another question, does we have a way to validate textbox with mouse click if we click outside a textbox? If we click every where in a form? For now, the trigger will start if you select another textbox or any other field, but if the user click outside any fields? Like directly in the form?

Thanks
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #583891 is a reply to message #583889] Mon, 06 May 2013 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I don't know what Forms thinks when you click outside of any item (i.e. somewhere on a canvas). It seems that it does nothing in that case. Maybe (I'm not even sure it would work and can't test it myself) you could put all item validations into separate procedures (and call them from WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM triggers), create a timer which would - periodically - call a procedure which would, in turn, call all these "validation" procedures, one by one.

Nah, I don't like the idea particularly; it might confuse users. Imagine someone typing some delicate long number into an item. Then your procedure runs, says "that delicate long number item must not be NULL", deletes everything that poor user entered and, finally, cause user kill you kill me.

Hopefully, someone else will have a good idea.
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #583892 is a reply to message #583891] Mon, 06 May 2013 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neimad
Yeah, i don't like that idea too, timer isn't a solution we want to use! Smile

But thanks for your help, i think it's not possible to let the user click everywhere in the canvas.

if someone have another idea.

thanks
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #679286 is a reply to message #583889] Thu, 20 February 2020 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vijji294
Hi,

Did you find answer for this? I am also facing the same issue. When I navigate through mouse to the button from text item having invalid value, the when validate item trigger on text item is not fired.

Thanks & Regards,
Vijayalakshmi
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #679291 is a reply to message #679286] Thu, 20 February 2020 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
It will fire, but only after the when-button-pressed is finished.
That's just the way it works.
Re: Mouse navigation validatation [message #679295 is a reply to message #679291] Thu, 20 February 2020 03:20 Go to previous message
vijji294
Hi,

Thank you. I figured out the issue. I have mouse navigate property set to No for the push button. That's why when validate item trigger was not fired when i navigate through mouse.

Thanks
Previous Topic: Check box not selecting the correct value
Next Topic: Enable zoom_available in custom.pll and calling form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:10:55 CDT 2024