Home » Server Options » Data Guard » CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY (Oracle 11.2.0.2 Linux)
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY [message #570855] Fri, 16 November 2012 10:25 Go to next message
BeefStu
I have a DR setup with the following configuration

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 30 DAYS;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET;
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
CONFIGURE COMPRESSION ALGORITHM 'BASIC' AS OF RELEASE 'DEFAULT' OPTIMIZE FOR LOAD TRUE ; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY

I dont want to backup the STDBY DB but I want the ARC files to be removed when applied so my flash area does not fill up. Is there some command(rman or not) that can fire off this policy? Any examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all who answer
Re: CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY [message #570856 is a reply to message #570855] Fri, 16 November 2012 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25608/manage_ls.htm#SBYDB00810
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY [message #570858 is a reply to message #570856] Fri, 16 November 2012 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BeefStu
Mashesh,
to me it looks like the logs need to stay around for 24 hrs or 1440 based on db_flashback_retention_target.

What causes the deletion policy to kick in? Do I need to run some rman command?
Re: CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY [message #570861 is a reply to message #570858] Fri, 16 November 2012 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If you run
delete archive log all;
on the standby, that should delete all the applied logs. Otherwise, I think you'll have to wait until the FRA is full before any automatic deletion kicks in. But I think your recovery window will distort things, better get rid of it.
Re: CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY [message #570866 is a reply to message #570861] Fri, 16 November 2012 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BeefStu
thanks will test it out
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY [message #578221 is a reply to message #570855] Mon, 25 February 2013 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BeefStu
FYI:

The only automatic deletion of archive logs on the standby will occur if he flash recovery area becomes 100% full on the standby and considered obsolete according to the retention policy for rman. Then as space is needed, files that are in the FRA that are considered obsolete will be deleted (not all obsolete files, just enough to make the FRA no longer full).

The setting "CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY; " does not mean that the standby database deletes the archive log after their file is applied, it means that the file can be deleted from the FRA when the FRA becomes full.

If you want the archive logs deleted sooner than that, you would need to use rman to delete archive logs.

In this example archive logs would be deleted after they are 7 days old:
delete archivelog until time 'trunc(sysdate-7)';
Re: CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY [message #578236 is a reply to message #578221] Tue, 26 February 2013 00:46 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Thanks for these information.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: physical standby on windows 2003
Next Topic: LGWR SYNC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:14:04 CDT 2024