Home » Other » Training & Certification » Where to get 1z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Master Exam?
Where to get 1z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Master Exam? [message #561397] Sat, 21 July 2012 05:14 Go to next message
petergriffin
Hello,

I am preparing for the 1z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Exam. I went through the 750+ page book, but I need to do some practice tests.

How can I download the Oracle Database SQL Expert Master Exam or any other free exams on the web?

Regards,
Peter

[Updated on: Sat, 21 July 2012 05:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Where to get 1z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Master Exam? [message #561400 is a reply to message #561397] Sat, 21 July 2012 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Peter:

You won't find any legitimate practice tests downloadable on the Web. The best (which is also the worst) that you'll find is brain dumps. These are illegitimate study materials and can cost you your certification. The only practice tests that are recommended by Oracle are those from Self Test Software and Transcender. Both are owned by Kaplan and the tests are very similar. The Transcender are more expensive and contain more options (generally three separate practice tests).

Steve O'Hearn's book is a good resource, I used it myself. If you have read it and understood what you read, then you are likely in good shape for the test. If you slept with it under your pillow for a week hoping for the material to transfer via osmosis, you're probably out of luck. Smile

Personally, I don't generally use practice tests when studying for certifications. I did early in my career when I was getting my first few certifications and what I found was that they tended to be too narrowly focused for me. Using them tends to narrow your focus to answering one particular question rather than learning the information you need in order to answer any question like it. You also tend to get a false sense of confidence when you are able to ace the practice test. Getting a high score on the practice test only means something if it is a very close match to the real thing.

In my research, I often run across samples of practice tests from some of the 'off-brand' vendors. I've looked at a number of them just to see if they are worth anything. Without exception, they have been crap. The question-answer pairs they have had often aren't even for topics that appear on the exam the practice test is for. Worse, I've seen many that were wrong.

Below are links to a couple of articles I've written. The first is some tips on studying for 1Z0-047, and the second offers some tipcs on using practice tests effectively.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Studying-for-1Z0-047:-Oracle-Database-SQL-Expert&id=7124588
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Use-Practice-Tests-Effectively-When-Studying-for-an-Oracle-Certification&id=7055777
Re: Where to get 1z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Master Exam? [message #561446 is a reply to message #561400] Sun, 22 July 2012 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petergriffin
Thanks Matthew. I did go through Steve O'Hearn's 750+ page book. I live in Sri_Lanka and to be honest we don't have resources to purchase practice tests by spending 100s of $. That is why I thought of asking whether anybody knows a torrent for this. Anyway, I read both your articles. I think my only strategy is to go through the book AGAIN and then also use the SQL reference manuals and other resources on the web to cross reference and learn more in depth about the topics.
Re: Where to get 1z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Master Exam? [message #561516 is a reply to message #561446] Mon, 23 July 2012 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

I was joking about the 'under the pillow' comment, but only by exaggeration. I have been guilty of 'reading' technical books like this while not paying attention. It may be reading just before bed when I'm too tired to process the information or just read too long (i.e. I read 50 pages at one sitting and the last 10 pages don't really make it into my head). Re-reading his book is a good idea -- despite the emphasis on AGAIN, which I fully understand. You have to be even more careful reading through the book a second time. Make sure that you don't allow yourself to read on 'auto-pilot' where your eyes see the words but they never make it to your brain.

The other option which you don't mention is to install Oracle XE on your PC and practice some SQL. The test has many questions where the SQL is written in unusual (but legal) ways. Learning to recognize what variants will and will not work with SQL syntax is useful for the test.
Re: Where to get 1z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Master Exam? [message #561561 is a reply to message #561516] Mon, 23 July 2012 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
petergriffin
Matthew, I in fact have installed an Enterprise 11g DB and try out everything. My 2GB RAM/ 1.8 GHz PC is still not enough for a Enterprise 11g. It takes entire memory, can't work with any other thing like Word or email. My other problem is, that when I finish the book I tend to forget quite a lot of stuff I studied. My memory power is quite low now, not like 15 years ago.
Re: Where to get 1z0-047 Oracle Database SQL Expert Master Exam? [message #561562 is a reply to message #561561] Mon, 23 July 2012 23:13 Go to previous message
matthewmorris68

>is still not enough for a Enterprise 11g.

I wouldn't suggest using Oracle Enterprise. Oracle XE is somewhat friendlier to PCs.

>My other problem is, that when I finish the book I tend to forget quite a lot of stuff I studied.

I don't generally push my study guides unless asked specifically about test resources. However, I'll note that part of the target audience of my Oracle Certification Prep series is people who have read something from Oracle Press or Sybex and want a second (shorter) resource. My 1Z0-047 study guide is 148 pages vs the 750+ of Steve's book. It does that by laying out information and examples on the test topics without elaboration. I can read it in a couple of hours... which was part of the point of my series. It's possible to read them cover-to-cover the night before a morning test, or the morning before an afternoon test so the information is in short-term memory.

You said you didn't want to spend hundreds for practice tests -- the book is $12. Heck if I know what shipping to Sri Lanka would be though. Smile

The Amazon URL is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1475152434/

You can preview the book to get a feel for the content.
Previous Topic: Oracle Apps Technical/ Financial Online Training and Placement Support at Crescent IT Solutions
Next Topic: Oracle 1z0-204
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:32:04 CDT 2024