Home » Server Options » Text & interMedia » enable synchronization of full-text index (Oracle 10g R2 Windows XP)
enable synchronization of full-text index [message #522367] Fri, 09 September 2011 00:09 Go to next message
dkdms2124

Hi All,

I want to know that is there will be any side effect id I enable synchronization of all full-text indexes [15-20] in my database at the same time.

Thanks
Deepak
Re: enable synchronization of full-text index [message #522370 is a reply to message #522367] Fri, 09 September 2011 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

I have context index in my database and those are 15-20 in numbers. I have read that CTXCAT indexex :

Quote:

A CTXCAT index is transactional. When you perform DML (inserts, updates, and deletes) on the base table,
Oracle Text automatically synchronizes the index. Unlike a CONTEXT index, no CTX_DDL.SYNC_INDEX is necessary.

But what if I want to synchronize all the available full-text [context] indexex in my database.
Will it effect the performance of the database?

Thanks
Deepak
Re: enable synchronization of full-text index [message #522439 is a reply to message #522370] Fri, 09 September 2011 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Ctx_cat indexes do these things automatically. With ctx_context inidexes you can use index parameter and/or scheduling to make the synchronization, optimization, and rebuilding automatic at whatever intervals you want. The more often that you synchronize, the more fragmented that your index will become, until you optimize. The more fragmented that your index is, the slower your searches will be. Also, the more DML that has been done before you synchronize and optimize, the longer it will take to do so. How often that you synchronize and optimize depends on your situation. If you need recent changes to be searchable immediately, then you need to sync(on commit). Synchronization and optimization can be done online, so that they do not interfere with searches. If your business has some downtime, such as weekends or nights, then that is a good time to schedule rebuilding. When in doubt, do a small test on your system, and see.

Re: enable synchronization of full-text index [message #522526 is a reply to message #522439] Sun, 11 September 2011 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

Hey Thanks a lot mam, that was very helpful. So if I have 20 full-text indexes in my database and I m going to synchronize all of them at the same it will slow down the performance Right!

Regards
Deepak
Re: enable synchronization of full-text index [message #522527 is a reply to message #522526] Sun, 11 September 2011 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
When you say performance, I don't know if you are referring to performance of DML or performance of queries. I don't know what your system is like and I don't know how big your tables are. I don't know how much memory and processors you have. If I were you, I would do a small test and see. Try just synchronizing one and see how or if it affects things. Then try two, then three, and so on. If you do not synchronize, it will affect your searches. You also need to periodically optimize and rebuild. Synchronization alone is not sufficient to maintain your text indexes properly.
Re: enable synchronization of full-text index [message #522679 is a reply to message #522527] Tue, 13 September 2011 02:25 Go to previous message
dkdms2124

Thanks for your reply mam, ill perform test and let you know.

Regards
Deepak
Previous Topic: Oracle TEXT - 9i2, how to install
Next Topic: dbms_redefinition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:31:51 CDT 2024