Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Does standby redologs are applied online to datafile?
Does standby redologs are applied online to datafile? [message #516729] Wed, 20 July 2011 05:33 Go to next message
piotrtal
Hi.

I am again with standby issue.
Till now i was prety sure that standby redologs are applied to database without any delay, but everything looks that the process is different.

i did on primary serwer table and add some records to this table.

next i switch to standby and open redologs (with hex editor) to look for this "create table" and "insert" commands. and i succeded. so this is prove that standby log are supplied by primary database.

next i cancelled recovery process and open database in readonly mode and there was no records in this standby db, moreover there wans't any table on standby. so i started to be confused, because i suspected that this table and it content will be on standby database.

hm...

next i started recover process again for standby database and do some switch log on primary serwer. after that i back to standby, cancel recovery process and open database in readonly mode. there was table and contents for it.

so my question is:

does standby redologs should be applied online to database or they are only applied after promoting standby database to primary database?
it looks like contens only from archivelog is applied to standby database. it is correct?

thanks.

database is 9i.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2011 06:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Does standby redologs are applied online to datafile? [message #516735 is a reply to message #516729] Wed, 20 July 2011 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
next i started recover process again for standby database
Did you include the USING CURRENT LOGFILE clause?
Re: Does standby redologs are applied online to datafile? [message #516823 is a reply to message #516735] Thu, 21 July 2011 02:08 Go to previous message
piotrtal
SQL> ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE
  2  USING CURRENT LOGFILE disconnect from session;
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00274: illegal recovery option USING

SQL> ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE
  2  disconnect from session;

Database altered.

SQL>

... so maybe this option is not supported in 9i database?
Previous Topic: Data Guard Failover
Next Topic: standby - ASYNC and NOAFFIRM options seems not work :/
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:13:22 CDT 2024