Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Control file
Control file [message #507268] Fri, 13 May 2011 07:31 Go to next message
orashi
hi friends

i have an question that is While my database is up and running i want to delete one copy of control file. After that i want to recover the lost control file and bring up the database.

please give some step for that.especially control file editing i know that is seriously damage my database if it is not in the correct way.please help me

i am using oracle 11gR1

Thank you
Re: Control file [message #507274 is a reply to message #507268] Fri, 13 May 2011 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
This is a useful exercise, and everyone should become familiar with the various techniques for recovery. But it can be hard to simulate.
If you are working on Unix (or Linux), it can be impossible to simulate: you can use rm to delete the file, and your database will probably remain open. This is because all rm did was delete the directory entry; the file still exists. You will get an error only after a shutdown, when you try to start up.
If you are working on WIndows, the del command will refuse to delete it because it is open. So you'll have to find some utility that will delete an open file.
An alternative approach is to try to corrupt the file. On Unix, perhaps use vi to insert a load of rubbish, and save. On Windows, I think you may be able to edit and save with notepad.exe.
Re: Control file [message #507282 is a reply to message #507274] Fri, 13 May 2011 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orashi
yes am working in unix envirment acctually this question preveriously did my self but unfortunatly database coud not open.

Thats why i ask the some one to help this because i canot fallen in to again

please give me some guide steps

Re: Control file [message #507284 is a reply to message #507274] Fri, 13 May 2011 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramoradba
Or you can use some hexa editor to even corrupt your data files.

Good luck
Re: Control file [message #507290 is a reply to message #507284] Fri, 13 May 2011 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orashi
hmm ...
Re: Control file [message #507291 is a reply to message #507282] Fri, 13 May 2011 08:34 Go to previous message
John Watson
Oh, I see! We thought you wanted to simulate the problem. The steps for recovering afterwards are all in your Backup and Recvory User Guide, there are several techniques depending on the nature iof the damage and whether you have either an RMAN backup or a ser managed backup.
Previous Topic: RMAN
Next Topic: Timezone and SET UNTIL for Recover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:55:23 CDT 2024