Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Query on Cloning DB across Platform (Oracle 9i R2)
Query on Cloning DB across Platform [message #499806] Wed, 16 March 2011 05:02 Go to next message
OraKaran
Hello

As I understand we can't clone database across platform using Rman, as Rman backup taken on say Unix is useless to be recovered on Windows

Though I think of Export and Import, will copying the datafiles, logfiles, controlfile will serve purpose for cloning across platform?

Note that I do not mean Transportable tablespace here. Only copying cold backup across platform

Regards,
OraKaran

Re: Query on Cloning DB across Platform [message #499824 is a reply to message #499806] Wed, 16 March 2011 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
RMAN can copy database across platform, as long as they are same endian.
Look into convert database.
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/dbxptrn.htm#CHDCFFDI

Edit:
Missed the fact that you are using 9i.
This feature is not available in 9i.

To answer your question.
>>Though I think of Export and Import, will copying the datafiles, logfiles, controlfile will serve purpose for cloning across platform?

Export/import is logical. Means, you copy(export) only the data. Not the database files.
You create a new database and import only data.
You need to prereate the tablespaces etc.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2011 06:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Query on Cloning DB across Platform [message #499904 is a reply to message #499806] Wed, 16 March 2011 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraKaran
Hello Mahesh

First of all thanks for the tip on 'Convert Database'. It is really amazing.
I have used TTS across platform but never knew about 'Covert Database'.

Though I am unable to use it as of now it will be really useful for me in the future

Thanks for confirming on EXP / IMP as well

One question remains is, Can I copy files (dbf, ctl, rdo) across platform and clone the database (using cold backup)?. Though I suspect answer would be mostly 'NO' I would like to confirm it.

Please suggest

Regards,
OraKaran

Re: Query on Cloning DB across Platform [message #499905 is a reply to message #499904] Wed, 16 March 2011 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Cold backup will not work across OS
Re: Query on Cloning DB across Platform [message #500020 is a reply to message #499806] Thu, 17 March 2011 04:45 Go to previous message
OraKaran
Thanks Mahesh

For resoving the queries as well as the tip on 'Convert Database'

Regards,
OraKaran
Previous Topic: RMAN backup performance
Next Topic: Delete obsolete backups
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:03:51 CDT 2024