Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » restore incremental backup to new server
restore incremental backup to new server [message #492499] Mon, 31 January 2011 11:56 Go to next message
dkdms2124

Hi All,

In my last post I asked abt the issues that I was facing while restoring the full backup of RMAN on a new server. I mentioned the steps as well, Now my Question is what If I want to restore the incremental backup on the new server?

What all steps do I have to follow after restoring the zero level backup on a new server.

Thanks
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492501 is a reply to message #492499] Mon, 31 January 2011 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
And as I said in your previous topic, and create a new topic does not the answer, of course, you have NOTHING to do but copy the backups on your target server then RMAN will choose what it needs to restore and how it will recover depending on what you ask it.

Regards
Michel
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492502 is a reply to message #492501] Mon, 31 January 2011 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

I am sorry If I made you angry SIR but I created new topic only after I was told to create as this was new question for them..

Regards
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492503 is a reply to message #492501] Mon, 31 January 2011 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

What I did earlier I am mentioning below.

•I had a database backed up on NODE A.
•I want to restore the database on NODE B on which the directory structure is different.

The backup of NODE A is zero level that is full backup.

I successfully restored the backup on NODE B and I followed the following steps:

1. Connect to the target database using rman and backup the database ---> NODE 1

2. Move the following files to the NODE 2 :

+ The database backup pieces
+ Controlfile backup piece
+ The parameter file i.e init.ora file

3. Edit the PFILE on NODE 2 to change the environment specific parameters like.

4. Once the PFILE is suitably modified then I started the database in nomount mode with the updated pfile.

5. Restored the controlfile from the backup piece.

6. Mount the database.

7. Now cataloged the backup pieces that were shipped from NODE 1.

8. Got the last sequence available in the archivelog backup.

9. Rename the Redologfiles,so that they can be created in new locations when opened the database is opened in resetlogs.

10. Finally restored the datafiles to new locations and recover database.

Now my question is If after this I take level 1 incremental backup on NODE A for more than two times and I want to implement this incremental level 1 backup on Database at NODE B.

What all I have to do?

Regards
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492505 is a reply to message #492503] Mon, 31 January 2011 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
execute "show configuration" on NODE A/1, take what RMAN displays and execute it on NODE B/2 after having modified them accordingly to differences between the 2 nodes.
Then take your backup script from NODE A/1 and copy them on NODE B/2, modify accordingly to differences between the 2 nodes.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2011 12:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492538 is a reply to message #492505] Tue, 01 February 2011 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

Do you mean to say that once I have implemented(RESTORE) the zero level backup on the new server after that when I have to restore the level 1 incremental backup I donot have to issue the catalog command again .. Like we have to do for the very first time.

Thanks
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492539 is a reply to message #492538] Tue, 01 February 2011 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes, if you mean what I think you mean but I'm not sure about what you mean.
Can you explain it with more details and in other way. Define what you mean by "restore" (do you mean restore file (copy file) in the server or "restore" rman command? it is not clear).
Waht is your final purpose?

Regards
Michel
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492543 is a reply to message #492539] Tue, 01 February 2011 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

Sir my final purpose is to restore the rman incremental backup on the new server just like I restored the full backup of RMAN on the New server.

The steps that I followed I have mentioned above in the same post. If you want all the steps and the scripts in detail I can post that as well.

Regards
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492570 is a reply to message #492543] Tue, 01 February 2011 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Well, we will take it step by step.
What do you mean by "restore"?

Regards
Michel
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492574 is a reply to message #492570] Tue, 01 February 2011 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

Thats really very nice of you to help me out Sir, I really appreciate that.

Lets begin from the very first step.

1) I have two servers A and B.
2) On server A I have database name dbaorg for which I have took full RMAN backup by issuing command:

RMAN> backup database plus archivelog;

3) On Server B I have a new database name testrman.
4) I want to restore the Backup of database dbaorg on Server A to database testrman on Server B.

Now If we talk of the full backup I have successfully restored the database dbaorg to database testrman( which you can also say I have use RMAN to COPY DB)

Now my simple question is that I have incremental backup script schedule everyday, What all steps I have to follow If I want that incremental backup of the dbaorg database on Server A to database on Server B.

Thanks
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492577 is a reply to message #492574] Tue, 01 February 2011 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
My question is also simple: What do you mean by "restore"?
Just answer THIS question, no more, no less.

Regards
Michel
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492580 is a reply to message #492577] Tue, 01 February 2011 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

To get all the data of database A for which I have taken RMAN backup, availble on database B on different Server.

Regards
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492601 is a reply to message #492580] Tue, 01 February 2011 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This is your definition of "restore"?

Regards
Michel
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492645 is a reply to message #492601] Tue, 01 February 2011 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

May be I m not able to define properly the word "restore" ... but what I want to do I have explain that in simple steps so please help me out to solve this problem..

Thanks
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492655 is a reply to message #492645] Tue, 01 February 2011 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I don't know what is the problem. THis is why I try to understand each of your word.
Tell me, functionnaly, as if you were trying to explain it to your mum, what is your final goal?
Don't say "I have to restore the level 1 incremental backup", your mum (at least mine) will not undertand that. Why do you want to "restore the level 1 incremental backup"?

Regards
Michel
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492663 is a reply to message #492655] Tue, 01 February 2011 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

Ok Sir, I'll explain you in brief I have a main server on which we have database of the company, I have schedule the full export once every monday and from tuesday to sunday we have scheduled rman incremental backup including zero level backup on Tuesday following to level 1 incremental backup from wednesday onwards.

Now sometime as per the requirement we have to create user on new server and make import for the respective use from the export file, in which there is no problem and is successfully done.

I suggested the policy of STANDBY as well to be on the safer side but my senior as asked me to implement RMAN incremental backup on the server so I did, but wat if the main database fails and I m left with RMAN incremental backup.

Now I want if this situations comes I have to set the complete database on New Server from the Incremental backup I m left with, what all steps do I have to follow.

Hope I was able to make it more clear this time SIR?

Thanks alot for your help and patience SIR.

Regards
Deepak Smile
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492725 is a reply to message #492663] Wed, 02 February 2011 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkdms2124

Waiting for you reply Michel Sir, or if any one else has understand the exact problem he/she can also answer.

Thanks & Regards
Deepak
Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492726 is a reply to message #492663] Wed, 02 February 2011 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Please be patient, sometimes I take a break on forum and spend time with my family or friends which was the case last "night".

I'm not sure I understand what you have but:
1) If the purpose is to test import previously to do it in production then a standby database is not useful unless you break it and rebuild it each time you test an import (which may be an available solution)
2) A standby database, once built, does not use incremental backup but live with archived logs
3) If you don't need the "standby" between 2 tests of import then you can build it each time with the last full backup + incremental backup + archived logs as you will do it with a simple full backup, there is no difference from RMAN point of view as you just put the backups (of any kind) in the correct place and ask RMAN to duplicate the database for standby.
4) If you don't use a real standby database, just a clone, then you just have (in the same way) to put all the backups at the correct place in the target server and tell RMAN to restore and recover, it will take itself the correct backups it needs to satisfy the commands you give.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2011 01:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: restore incremental backup to new server [message #492744 is a reply to message #492726] Wed, 02 February 2011 03:33 Go to previous message
dkdms2124

Thanks alot for the reply Sir, I'll try to implement the last option for the incremental backup and will update you with the Result.

Regards
Deepak
Previous Topic: RAC Database duplication using RMAN
Next Topic: Backup through HP data protector
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:30:43 CDT 2024