Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Importing into lower version using (exp/imp) (Oracle 10g, 9i on RHEL)
Importing into lower version using (exp/imp) [message #490777] Thu, 27 January 2011 05:33 Go to next message
OraKaran
Hello

For importing higher version database exp dump e.g. 10g exp dump into 9i database it is suggested at many places
"Always use a version of the EXPORT utility that is equal to the lowest version of either the source or the target database"

I understand from this is, I will be using 9i exp utility for exporting 10g database

I would like to know the ways it can be achieved.

1) Installing oracle 9i client on 10g database
Do I still need to execute 9i catexp.sql after that?
If answer to above is 'yes', I assume catexp.sql of 9i wont be created after 9i client is installed as such I will need to copy it from 9i database server and execute on 10g database server. Correct?
For above question I have assumed catexp.sql has different contents for 9i and 10g

2) After configuring tns file in 9i database, can I use?
   exp user/password@10gdbconnstring ....

(of course for small amount of data)

Is there any other option for achieving the same?

Also I understand export and import between any 9.* into any 9.* wont be issue e.g. import from 9.2 into 9.1
Similarly any 10.* to another 10.* wont be issue.
Correct?

Regards,
OraKaran
Re: Importing into lower version using (exp/imp) [message #490778 is a reply to message #490777] Thu, 27 January 2011 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>1) Installing oracle 9i client on 10g database
>>Do I still need to execute 9i catexp.sql after that?

Just install 9i client in a separate ORACLE_HOME, not even need to be in the same server.
Re: Importing into lower version using (exp/imp) [message #490780 is a reply to message #490778] Thu, 27 January 2011 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraKaran
Thanks Mahesh

Quote:

Just install 9i client in a separate ORACLE_HOME, not even need to be in the same server

Wont it increase network traffic?

Box A is 10g database server
Box B is 9i database server
Box C is 9i client

In above case Box B will read from Box A and will created dump at say Box B, wont it be slow?
I may be making mistake hear but please clear my understanding

Also I assume your answer suggest wherever I install 9i client, I dont need to execute catexp.sql over it.

Could you please suggest on another questions in earlier post as well?

Regards,
OraKaran

Re: Importing into lower version using (exp/imp) [message #490829 is a reply to message #490780] Thu, 27 January 2011 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It depends on where you want to use the dump file in the end.
Anyway, it is better to use a client on the same machine than the database (and compress, ftp if you want to use the dump in ohter place) but if you can't install a client on this machine, then use another one.

Regards
Michel
Re: Importing into lower version using (exp/imp) [message #490839 is a reply to message #490829] Thu, 27 January 2011 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OraKaran
Thanks Michel

I hope I am not stretching it

1) Ok. I install oracle 9i client on machine same as 10gb server or another one. Fine. But over to that do I need to execute catexp.sql?

How about following option for small amount of data
2)After configuring tns file in 9i database, can I use?

exp user/password@10gdbconnstring ....
(of course for small amount of data)

Thanks and Regards,
OraKaran
Re: Importing into lower version using (exp/imp) [message #490842 is a reply to message #490839] Thu, 27 January 2011 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1) No. As Mahesh Rajendran said: "Just install 9i client in a separate ORACLE_HOME,"
2) Yes you can but as you are in the same server you can connect without going trough SQL*Net layers, just set your ORACLE_SID.

Regards
Michel
Re: Importing into lower version using (exp/imp) [message #490918 is a reply to message #490842] Fri, 28 January 2011 03:03 Go to previous message
OraKaran
Thanks Michel

1) Got it correctly now
2) No. Here I was expecting 10g db server and 9i db server are different boxes. But yes, if those are on same box I wont need tns and will only switch ORACLE_SID as you have mentioned.

Thanks and Regards,
OraKaran

Previous Topic: ?Trivial? sqlldr problem
Next Topic: SQL LOADER
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:34:09 CDT 2024