Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Is there a parameter that would cause a session to "give up"? (Oracle 11g)
Is there a parameter that would cause a session to "give up"? [message #481320] Tue, 02 November 2010 07:42 Go to next message
chris32680
Hi all,
Quick question.

We have an specific web app that is basically a product search. There's certain condition where if the user specifies a string to search that's going to take a long time to return the data, then the oracle process will take way too long to return data. Usually the user will give up and close their browser but that doesn't cause the oracle process to "give up" as well.

Aside from the fact that we need to fix the app to NOT allow the user to perform one of these searches, or at least do a better job of tuning the query to return the very large dataset quicker, we'd like to figure out how to keep these processes from running forever and clogging up other connections.

I've been looking at sqlnet parameters to see if there is one that can be set to "timeout" after 5 or 10 minutes, but none seem to actually do what i'm looking for.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

our current sqlnet.ora file is:
AUTOMATIC_IPC = OFF
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 2
NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = world
NAME.DEFAULT_ZONE = world
#SQLNET.CRYPTO_SEED = "85765068598863"

Thanks!
Re: Is there a parameter that would cause a session to "give up"? [message #481333 is a reply to message #481320] Tue, 02 November 2010 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/search?remark=quick_search&word=profile&tab_id=&format=ranked
Re: Is there a parameter that would cause a session to "give up"? [message #481334 is a reply to message #481333] Tue, 02 November 2010 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris32680
Thanks for the response, BlackSwan.

I've actually seen that documentation, and i guess i just don't know enough about sqlnet to know which one of those actually does what I'm looking for (if it's even possible).

I guess i could just try the ones that look like the most likely candidates and get there through trial and error. I was, I guess, just hoping that someone could tell me if it was possible at all.

Thanks
Re: Is there a parameter that would cause a session to "give up"? [message #481340 is a reply to message #481334] Tue, 02 November 2010 10:46 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes it is possible and this has nothing to do with sqlnet.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: using single tnsnames.ora file for two different database with different user at different locations
Next Topic: Can't resolve tns 12541 error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:00:38 CDT 2024