Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN copy / merge Incrementals (10.2.0.4.0)
RMAN copy / merge Incrementals [message #461612] Sat, 19 June 2010 17:14 Go to next message
kdefilip
I need some assistance with the effects of this RMAN Job:

RUN {
RECOVER COPY OF DATABASE WITH TAG 'Incr_Update';
BACKUP INCREMENTAL LEVEL 1 FOR RECOVER OF COPY WITH TAG 'Incr_Update'
DATABASE;
}

I realize it will first make a full backup 0. Next night an incremental 1. On night three, it will roll incremental 1 into the full backup and make a new incremental.

My question is, how long do I need to keep arch logs? From the date of the first level 0 full or from the date the last incremental 1 was merged to the full 0?

Thanks. My config for this job is below.

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 3; # default
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'E:\ORACLE\ORA10.2.0\DATABASE\SNCFEMR.ORA
'; # default
Re: RMAN copy / merge Incrementals [message #461617 is a reply to message #461612] Sat, 19 June 2010 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
That's the beauty of RMAN, it will manage that for you automatically.

Once the image copy is rolled forward, the older archive logs that existed prior to the first level 0 backup and any that exist between the time the level 0 was made and it was rolled forward will be obsolete.

kdefilip wrote on Sat, 19 June 2010 18:14

BTW...how can this be your default??

Re: RMAN copy / merge Incrementals [message #461662 is a reply to message #461617] Sun, 20 June 2010 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kdefilip
Not sure about your question "how can this be your default". Do you mean why is 3 our default? Please explain.

Thanks for your reply. I asked the original question because when I do a validate or a crosscheck (forget which one) rman seems to be complaining that some arch logs are missing. That may be true for arch logs which were generated between the original level 0 backup, but certainly not between any of the incremental merges.
Thanks again and I look forward to your reply.
kd
Re: RMAN copy / merge Incrementals [message #461669 is a reply to message #461662] Sun, 20 June 2010 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Really, how did you get Quote:
On my 11.2 and 11.1 databases, and I'm sure 10g/9i/8i/8 had the same behaviour too, as soon as I change the retention policy from the default, the "# default" disappears until I clear the non-default value. I'm not trying to criticize you, I'm just curious about how it happened.

As for your question, if some archive logs are missing, you need to crosscheck and then DELETE EXPIRED to update the rman repository accordingly.
Re: RMAN copy / merge Incrementals [message #461849 is a reply to message #461669] Mon, 21 June 2010 18:56 Go to previous message
kdefilip
Okay, I get your question now - and no, I didn't think you were criticizing. For simplicity sake, I copied and pasted a default "show all" and then manually changed to my settings for display pupposes only - sorry about the confusion.
kd
Previous Topic: Data Recovery
Next Topic: ora-19809,ora-19804
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:03:04 CDT 2024