Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Duplicate database (Oracle 10g with in the Applications 11i)
RMAN Duplicate database [message #450940] Sun, 11 April 2010 05:54 Go to next message
vbhupesh
Hi folks
Good Morning,

I am trying to clone the database using the RMAN. I have gone through the documents. My wish is to not to touch the production. Where as all the documents are saying I should use

RMAN>rman target sys/sys_prod@prod auxiliary /

so I am going to touch the Production, which I don't like.

What I wish to do is i can copy the RMAN backup to the test instance from that I want to clone my target db. Instead of using the Production backup copy.

Its bit urgent.. Very much thank full for the quick reply.

Regards
Sairam

Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #450941 is a reply to message #450940] Sun, 11 April 2010 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can always restore/recover a backup in another server and use it as a duplicated database.

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #450950 is a reply to message #450941] Sun, 11 April 2010 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsairam
Hi

Thanks for the reply,

I want to use the different database name. In the organization we are not supposed to use same name for the Production and test. How do I change the database name if I restore and recover.

Regards
Sairam
Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #450951 is a reply to message #450950] Sun, 11 April 2010 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/paa/obe-mdb/html/Chg_DB_Name.htm
Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #451017 is a reply to message #450951] Mon, 12 April 2010 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsairam
Hi

I am trying to find out the document to restore the database through the RMAN in to diff host, but I couldn't get one wit simple steps. Please some body can help in restore the database through RMAN in to diff host with the diff database name.

Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #451024 is a reply to message #451017] Mon, 12 April 2010 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
What did you try?
It is as easy as to restore your backup in your production server.
Do you know how to do this?
So restore in new server and THEN change database name.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2010 02:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #451069 is a reply to message #451024] Mon, 12 April 2010 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsairam
Hi Michel Cadot

Let me explain what I have done. for me I have two oracle erp instances 1.PROD 2.DEV both are running fine. Now the task is to refresh the DEV instance with the PROD Database.

Step 1: Have taken the backup through the RMAN on the PROD Instance and copied the backup peaces to the DEV Instance.

Step II

CHanged the following parameters in the DEV Pfile

1.db_name=PROD
2.db_file_name_name_convert= (/u01/oraprod/proddata/,/u01/oracle/devdata/)

then started the database in nomount.
rman>restore the controlfile from '/u02/backup/RMAN/bbb.ctl';
sql>alter database mount

$rman target /
rman>restore database;

error 1: db_file_name_convert is not at all effecting. still looking for the old path as /u01/oraprod/proddata/

so finally created the same directory structure and then tried the restore database again its going well.

my problem is why it is not relocating as per the db_file_name_convet parameter

thanks in advance

regards
sairam

Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #451073 is a reply to message #451069] Mon, 12 April 2010 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Simply because DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT is for DUPLICATE/STANDBY not RESTORE.

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #451079 is a reply to message #451073] Mon, 12 April 2010 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Easy method: Duplicating a Database on a Remote Host with a Different Directory Structure

If you want to go with restore/restore method

rman>restore the controlfile from '/u02/backup/RMAN/bbb.ctl';
sql>alter database mount 

1. After restore control file; mount the database

2. Try to generate text based controlfile using

alter database backup controlfile to trace

3. Edit; Trace file & change your db file location

4. Try to recreate controlfile and cont. restore & restore type

Babu
Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #451083 is a reply to message #451079] Mon, 12 April 2010 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The easy method can't be done as OP specifies it can't use DUPLICATE command (see his first post).

It can be done with rman using:
"restore controlfile from" to restore the control file (in nomount mode)
"set newname for datafile ... to ..." to change file location (after mounting the database)
then
"restore database;" and "switch datafile all";

Complete description in Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide, Chapter 7 Advanced RMAN Recovery Techniques, section Restore and Recovery of the Database on a New Host

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN Duplicate database [message #451086 is a reply to message #451073] Mon, 12 April 2010 06:20 Go to previous message
vsairam
Hi Michel Cadot

Thank you very much

Regards
Sairam
Previous Topic: RMAN 04006 - error from auxiliary database insufficient privileges
Next Topic: Cannot open ORacle database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 15 23:15:41 CDT 2024