Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Flashback Eight data retention (Oracle 10g R2, Solaris)
Flashback Eight data retention [message #438278] Thu, 07 January 2010 15:36 Go to next message
DBA_SangramKeshari
My requirement is to retin eight months data at any point in time to recover objects without downtime. We cann't opt for RMAN.
Database size is aroung 25gb.

What are the things need to be taken care like..

1. Undo tablespace and it's retention.
2. Estimation of flashback area.

If we can go for incremental logical backup, will it help? If so how?
Re: Flashback Eight data retention [message #438279 is a reply to message #438278] Thu, 07 January 2010 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Currently what is the amount of REDO generated on average for a week?

In round numbers about how big is the DB today?

[Updated on: Thu, 07 January 2010 16:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Flashback Eight data retention [message #438281 is a reply to message #438278] Thu, 07 January 2010 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>If we can go for incremental logical backup
What would be that?
Incremental Export? That never worked as intended even in the previous versions.
Not sure what undo tablespace has to do with this.
Re: Flashback Eight data retention [message #438318 is a reply to message #438278] Fri, 08 January 2010 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
This is exactly the scenario for which the flashback data archive is designed. An 11g new feature.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 January 2010 01:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Flashback Eight data retention [message #438331 is a reply to message #438278] Fri, 08 January 2010 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
My requirement is to retin eight months data at any point in time to recover objects without downtime

Depends on which onjects and which kind of recover?
Recover against table drop -> recyclebin
Recover data -> activate flashback log
Undo cannot keep 8 months of data change (unless you make no change and never stop the database).

Anyway to recover deleted data there is always a downtime for the application and the first one is the time to notice that some data are missing, then to restore/recover them somewhere (maybe in the current database or another one) and then to put it back in the original place.
I think flashback database will be the fastest way for you. Standby database may help if you let a sufficient gap between primary and standby to realize that some data are gone, otherwise the same action will be propagate to the standby.

Regards
Michel
Re: Flashback Eight data retention [message #438333 is a reply to message #438318] Fri, 08 January 2010 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
John Watson wrote on Fri, 08 January 2010 08:29
This is exactly the scenario for which the flashback data archive is designed. An 11g new feature.

I fully agree with this, I didn't mention it because OP said it was in 10gR2.

One point, flashback data archive will only prevent from logical (application) error not for physical problem (like disk corruption). To minimize this the archive must be in a different disk than the current table but it is not always easy to do.

Regards
Michel

Re: Flashback Eight data retention [message #438336 is a reply to message #438333] Fri, 08 January 2010 02:38 Go to previous message
John Watson
I have the answer! Workspace table versioning, enabled with dbms_wm, described in the 10g doc "Application Developer's Guide - Workspace Manager". I remember teaching it in the Oracle Uni 9i New Features course, but I never found an excuse to use it for real. You would need to create a series of workspaces, perhaps one every month, and then at any time you can enter a workspace and see the database as it was then. No need for reliance on undo, flashback, or anything else.
Previous Topic: rman can't backup (strange satuation) (merged)
Next Topic: How to see which database is currently taken backup in RMAN prompt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:34:34 CDT 2024