Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Oracle DB move from Linux server running 9i to a windows server running 10g (Oracle 9i Linux/windows)
icon5.gif  Oracle DB move from Linux server running 9i to a windows server running 10g [message #435760] Thu, 17 December 2009 16:24 Go to next message
careyda
Hello,
I see a few similar post on this thread so I hope this is the right area for this question.
I have an old server running RHES 4 and Oracle 9i. This is old out of warranty and we have no admins here that support Linux. I would like to migrate the database on this server to our server running Windows Server 2003 with Oracle 10g. I am not even sure where to start which is why I am here.
So I guess my question is, where do I begin?

Nak

[Updated on: Thu, 17 December 2009 16:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle DB move from Linux server running 9i to a windows server running 10g [message #435761 is a reply to message #435760] Thu, 17 December 2009 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Depends on volume and nature of data.
Depends on the downtime you can afford.
Export and Import. It could be painful if the volume of data is huge. Works most of the time, unless you are using certain specific datatypes and code.
Start here
http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Import_Export_FAQ
More info in oracle documentation.

If the data is really huge,You can upgrade 9i in the linux box to 10g and use RMAN cross-platform migration to copy to windows box.
Re: Oracle DB move from Linux server running 9i to a windows server running 10g [message #435763 is a reply to message #435761] Thu, 17 December 2009 17:01 Go to previous message
careyda
The volume of data I am unsure of, I will look into it. This database is used to look up some old customer info and the data actually does not change. We could probably have a few days of downtime on this server and no end users would notice.
Previous Topic: RMAN recover from full backup followed by interupted arch logs
Next Topic: Verify Success of DB Backups
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:53:17 CDT 2024