Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN to disk - no tape handling - procedure (10G)
RMAN to disk - no tape handling - procedure [message #434323] Tue, 08 December 2009 11:48 Go to next message
sjelle
Hi,
Current situation:
I am dealing with a 10G RAC 300GB+ database (on Red Hat). This database will be growing a few hundred GB soon. The current backup strategy is to do an RMAN compressed full backup nightly (nocatalog). This is about 70GB. I have room to keep about 5 backups on disk. We currently do not have a robust enough tape backup to handle this data on a daily basis. I am not using Flash Recovery area and currently do not want to. The only shared disk I have is on the same shared disk as the database. I want the backup to go to separate disk.

Looking for solutions or options others are using for:
Soon I will be getting another access to a few terabytes of disk (on Red Hat Server) that is on the same Gigabit LAN segment.

I would like to determine a backup strategy that allows me:
- To keep about 30 days of backup rman information in crontrol file (retention of about 30 days)
- Keep only 2 backupsets online (disk) on the RAC cluster,
- Move any prior backupsets to other host with a few terabytes of disk (that I will be getting access to soon) probably with SCP.

So basically (even though all the documentation says not to do this... I want to:
- maintain the deletion/moving of the backupsets in OS (not rman)
- I want rman to think that there is 30 days of backups on local disk. If a backup is needed that is not on local disk, I would scp it from the other host.
- I think I want to use rman commands like "delete obsolete until time 'sysdate-30';" to keep the rman catalog in the controlfile current.

Has anyone setup anything like this? I would think that a requirement like this should not be too uncommon with all of the DeDuplication and disk-only backups being talked about. If anyone has dealt with SQL scripting to get rman backupset filenames for this type of OS file handling that woudl also be helpful.

Thanks and any comments would be appreciated,
Steve
Re: RMAN to disk - no tape handling - procedure [message #434325 is a reply to message #434323] Tue, 08 December 2009 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Instead of "obsoleting", just mark the backupsets as "unavailable".
Remove/Copy using OS commands.
You can make them available again whenever you want it.
Always worked for me with recovery catalog.
Not sure without nocatalog (the views to get info are little different. will look into it).

EDIT:
Seems not possible to do without catalog (making it unavailable).

[Updated on: Tue, 08 December 2009 12:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: RMAN to disk - no tape handling - procedure [message #435162 is a reply to message #434323] Mon, 14 December 2009 15:25 Go to previous message
sjelle
Thanks for the reply. I am also interested if anyone has any shell or perl scripting examples which are extracting rman disk backup piece filenames out of the Oracle data dictionary remove, or move rman backups using OS commands (outside of rman). If I am going to handle the rman backup remove/move of backup files (within the OS) I want to make sure the SQL I am using to generate
"mv" or "rm" commands is correct.

Thanks,
Steve
Previous Topic: RMAN-04006: error from auxiliary database - URGENT
Next Topic: backup/recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:58:21 CDT 2024