Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Relationt of CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME with Retention policy in RMAN (oracle 10g)
Relationt of CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME with Retention policy in RMAN [message #432018] Fri, 20 November 2009 07:41 Go to next message
gir_sat

Hi All,

I am searching what is the relation between CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME and retention policy that we configure in RMAN.

Suppose i want that my 90 RMAN full level 0 backups should be valid(in recovery window) then in that case shall i have make
CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME=90+1 in pfile of database.

Will it not increase size of my controlfile??
also will it cause any prob in my database ??

Thanks
Re: Relationt of CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME with Retention policy in RMAN [message #432022 is a reply to message #432018] Fri, 20 November 2009 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Suppose i want that my 90 RMAN full level 0 backups should be valid(in recovery window) then in that case shall i have make
CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME=90+1 in pfile of database.

Better have a parameter that fits your policy above all if you don't use a RMAN catalog.

Quote:
Will it not increase size of my controlfile??

It may but your control file already increases from now and then without you know it.

Quote:
also will it cause any prob in my database ??

What will cause the problem? Thefact to increase the parameter or the fact that control file will come bigger?

Regards
Michel
Re: Relationt of CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME with Retention policy in RMAN [message #432027 is a reply to message #432018] Fri, 20 November 2009 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gir_sat

Thanks for update Michel.

Here we are using catalog database.
So we have to make changes CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME of production(of which RMAN backup is taken) or the catalog database.

Also we need to observe the datafile of catalog database as metadata of RMAN backups are going here?

Above two are my major doubts.

Kindly give the clarification for it.

Thanks once again
Re: Relationt of CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME with Retention policy in RMAN [message #432029 is a reply to message #432027] Fri, 20 November 2009 08:58 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
RMAN data are recorded in both control file and catalog database.
CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME is the one of target database (the one that is backed up) (but also catalog one as I think you also back up it).

Regards
Michel

Previous Topic: Control file backup using Rman? (merged 4)
Next Topic: expdp error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:57:32 CDT 2024