Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » 'Recover' Command Not applying archivelogs (Oracle 9.2.0.6 on Linux)
'Recover' Command Not applying archivelogs [message #426780] Mon, 19 October 2009 10:38 Go to next message
chetanaZ
Hi,

As a part of database refresh (crating test environment from production backup), we restore and recover the database using follwoing steps

RMAN> startup nomount
RMAN> restore controlfile from '/u05/oradata/DB1/rmanbackup/c-<DBID>-<timestamp>-00.bak';
RMAN> mount database;
RMAN> restore database;

When I issue recover database it restores the archivelogs files but seems does not apply them as seen below

RMAN> recover database;
Starting recover at 28-SEP-09
using channel ORA_DISK_1

starting media recovery

channel ORA_DISK_1: starting archive log restore to default destination
channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring archive log
archive log thread=1 sequence=49733
channel ORA_DISK_1: restored backup piece 1
piece handle=\\VL001\BKUP_17KQ5KI2_1_1 tag=DAILY DB01 ARCHIVELOG BACKUP params=NULL
channel ORA_DISK_1: restore complete
archive log filename=G:\ORA92\RDBMS\ARC49733.001 thread=1 sequence=49733
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting archive log restore to default destination
channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring archive log
archive log thread=2 sequence=131788
channel ORA_DISK_1: restored backup piece 1
piece handle=\\VL001\\BKUP_18KQ5KI2_1_1 tag=DAILY DB01 ARCHIVELOG BACKUP params=NULL
channel ORA_DISK_1: restore complete
archive log filename=G:\ORA92\RDBMS\ARC31788.002 thread=2 sequence=131788
unable to find archive log
archive log thread=1 sequence=49734
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of recover command at 09/28/2009 13:02:46
RMAN-06054: media recovery requesting unknown log: thread 1 scn 5791116565591

Inspite of this, when I open the database with resetlogs it opens everytime without any error

RMAN> alter database open resetlogs;
database opened

So I have 2 questions
1) If the 'Recover database' command is not applying the logs or it is applying the logs, but not displaying on the screen
2) Since RMAN does not support backup of online redo logs why I was not needed to do incomplete recovery?

Documentation under section 'Performing Recovery with a Backup Control File' states
"If the online redo logs are inaccessible, then you must perform incomplete recovery to an SCN before the earliest SCN in the online redo logs. This limitation is necessary because RMAN does not back up online logs. "

Is it because I have restored controlfile rather than using the production control file as it is (alter database backup controlfile to <path>)?

Please help me understanding this

Thanks and Regards,
Chetana
Re: 'Recover' Command Not applying archivelogs [message #426783 is a reply to message #426780] Mon, 19 October 2009 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Most probably the latest archived logs are not yet cataloged or somehow not yet visible to RMAN.
With "recover database", RMAN will try to get the database to the latest state as possible.
What you need is an incomplete recovery using until time/Sequence.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 October 2009 11:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 'Recover' Command Not applying archivelogs [message #426788 is a reply to message #426780] Mon, 19 October 2009 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chetanaZ
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for the quick reponse

Quote:

With "recover database", RMAN will try to get the database to the latest state as possible.

What I understand from your quote is "the last one or more uncataloged archive logs are not applied but rest are applied"

But I am seeing this happen (as i posted) 100% times I repeat the procedure and never seen arcg=hive ogs getting applied with this procedure though many are restored during 'recover' command

Note : I am not using recovery catalog so I assume catalog means control file in my case

Quote:

What you need is an incomplete recovery using until time/Sequence

With reference to your quote above, I never needed to do that; in fact whenever I got the message RMAN-06054: media recovery requesting unknown log: thread..." I was successful in opening the database

In fact this is my question why I do not needed 'incomplete recovery' since there aren't any online redo logs in the backup (as rman does not support it) and documentation asks for 'incomplete recovery' when online red logs aren't there?

Thanks and Regards,
Chetana

Re: 'Recover' Command Not applying archivelogs [message #426796 is a reply to message #426788] Mon, 19 October 2009 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>why I do not needed 'incomplete recovery'
You are doing an incomplete recovery.
In your case, RMAN detects the required archives from the available backups and proceeds to apply them UNTIL it finds an archived log is not available and finds the online logs are also
not available(you are restoring in a new node, assuming all your datafiles/logsfiles are gone).
Instead, you can restore and recover to a particular point-in-time.

>> documentation asks for 'incomplete recovery' when online red logs aren't there?
"recover database" followed by "open resetlogs" will take care of that.

quoting docs

http://youngcow.net/doc/oracle10g/backup.102/b14191/osrecov009.htm

Quote:
The RESETLOGS option is always required after incomplete media recovery or recovery using a backup control file. Resetting the redo log does the following:

Archives the current online redo logs (if they are accessible) and then erases the contents of the online redo logs and resets the log sequence number to 1. For example, if the current online redo logs are sequence 1000 and 1001 when you open RESETLOGS, then the database archives logs 1000 and 1001 and then resets the online logs to sequence 1 and 2.

Creates the online redo log files if they do not currently exist.

Reinitializes the control file metadata about online redo logs and redo threads.

Updates all current datafiles and online redo logs and all subsequent archived redo logs with a new RESETLOGS SCN and time stamp.

Re: 'Recover' Command Not applying archivelogs [message #426874 is a reply to message #426780] Tue, 20 October 2009 03:12 Go to previous message
chetanaZ
Superb!!

Thanks Mahesh

It is very much clear to me now

Regards,
Chetana

Previous Topic: Applying archive logs across OS platforms
Next Topic: Restore database Until Time: possibility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:45:06 CDT 2024