Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Migrating Postgres BLOB data to Oracle (Oracle 11G, Windows)
Migrating Postgres BLOB data to Oracle [message #418717] Tue, 18 August 2009 05:38 Go to next message
magistratemg
Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum. Anyway, I'm out for someone who can suggest a good solution or point me to a website that contains information that could help.

Here is my problem:
We are currently using PostgreSQL and we have just been notified that we will be migrating to Oracle 11G. I have been tasked to study and find a way to migrate existing blob data in postgres to Oracle. If anybody is familiar, Postgres stores blob data in a system table and not in the table we are using where the blob column was defined. I believe oracle handles this differently where it actually stores the blob data inside the blob column defined in your table.

Right now I could not find a way to do this straightforward. Can anybody suggest a tool? Something free?

My idea is to create a program that will extract the data from postgres, write it to disk and then save it to the new oracle tables.

Does anybody have other ideas? Is there a loophole or unforeseen problem in my proposed solution?

Thanks a lot!
Re: Migrating Postgres BLOB data to Oracle [message #418721 is a reply to message #418717] Tue, 18 August 2009 06:06 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
My idea is to create a program that will extract the data from postgres, write it to disk and then save it to the new oracle tables.

Yes it is a way.
I don't know Postgres but I think it has a tool to dump the BLOB into a file, then you can use SQL*Loader (for instance) to load them into Oracle table.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: ORA-01207: file is more recent than controlfile - old controlfile
Next Topic: OUT OF MEMORY error message
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 03:25:36 CDT 2024