Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Can I Use These RMAN backups (Oracle 10.2 on RHEL 4 OS)
Can I Use These RMAN backups [message #417244] Thu, 06 August 2009 12:57 Go to next message
sdefilip
We have an Oracle database that has become unuseable. I cannot open it but it is in Mount state. I also have the RMAN catalog in a tablespace on the same database (I know better but had no choice when creating database). I have rman backups files of this database on disk but cannot access the catalog and the conrol file of the database. I can connect to the target database however.

Is there any way that I can recover the database from these rman backups that anyone knows of?

The database datafiles are in an ASM diskgroup but I am also wondering if I can do a conventional restore from the datafile?

S.D.
Re: Can I Use These RMAN backups [message #417252 is a reply to message #417244] Thu, 06 August 2009 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Was instance in archive mode prior to failure?
When did most recent Full RMAN backup complete?
Re: Can I Use These RMAN backups [message #417254 is a reply to message #417252] Thu, 06 August 2009 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sdefilip
yes, it was in archivelog mode.

backups were taken 7/23/09 and would be acceptable to restore data to that point.
Re: Can I Use These RMAN backups [message #419408 is a reply to message #417244] Fri, 21 August 2009 22:47 Go to previous message
purple73
Here is how we have in our DR exercise:

If you have a decent init.ora parameter, use it to start an instance in nomount and execute the following via rman connecting to the instance.

run{
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE' parms="BLKSIZE=262144";
set until time 'Apr 12 2009 11:05:00';
set archivelog destination to '/ora_archive/ORACLE/DB01/arc';
restore controlfile to '/usr/local/oracle/local/rman/recover/ctl/cntrlTEMP.dbf';
replicate controlfile from '/usr/local/oracle/local/rman/recover/ctl/cntrlTEMP.dbf';
sql "alter database mount";
restore database;
recover database;
sql "alter database open resetlogs";
release channel t1;
}

We use NETBACKUP that requires NB* SHELL variables; which are set via a wrapper ksh script.
Off course you having ASM and not knowing your backup system might change somethings in the above listing.
Previous Topic: restoring backup
Next Topic: rman backup type
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:26:25 CDT 2024