Home » Other » General » Licensing: Oracle Database XE
Licensing: Oracle Database XE [message #416586] Mon, 03 August 2009 07:13 Go to next message
swlic_at_muc
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forums and I hope you can give me some hints on a licensing question I have been bothered with. I am the IT guy in a small software company and have been asked by one of our developers whether he could use Oracle Database Express Edition instead of Standard Edition to avoid purchasing a development license.

This is the situation:
We are developing software products for use only by one specific client (Custom Software Development). The OTN License seems to rule out development licenses for us, as we are not permitted to:

Quote:
use the programs for your own internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes

At the moment we are doing this for a client, it gets commercial, right? So far, so good. So we thought of using the express edition instead.

What gets me really weird is this extract from the Oracle Database Express License Agreement:

Quote:
License Rights
We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs for: (a) purposes of developing, prototyping and running your applications for your own internal data processing operations; (b) you may also distribute the programs with your applications; (c) you may use the programs to provide third party demonstrations and training; and d) you may copy and distribute the programs to your licensees provided that each such licensee agrees to the terms of this Agreement.

This means I may not use it for developing a client's software, although I am allowed to hand him over the Oracle program itself?

Do we have to purchase a full use license? I always thought that Oracle XE was completely free, but now I am very unsure.

I know that I will get an official answer only from an Oracle representative, but I hope you could tell me your opinions on this, or perhaps there is another way of licensing the product. Perhaps I just misunderstood something in this legal monster-phrases ? Smile

Thanks for your answers,

Regards,
Doug

Re: Licensing: Oracle Database XE [message #416590 is a reply to message #416586] Mon, 03 August 2009 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I think you are correct but as you said the final answer can only be given by Oracle Corp itself.

Regards
Michel
Re: Licensing: Oracle Database XE [message #418530 is a reply to message #416586] Mon, 17 August 2009 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gamyers
The intent of XE is free to develop, deploy and distribute.
I'd interpret the licence as allowing developing for external clients. From the developer's point of view, he is creating an application. The fact that another unit in the organization sells that isn't relevant. The 'internal data processing' is the development process.

If you are on Windows machines, another alternative is Personal Edition. The licence only allows one user, but it is affordable and you can get 11g. Check it out at shop.oracle.com
Re: Licensing: Oracle Database XE [message #420449 is a reply to message #416586] Sat, 29 August 2009 22:27 Go to previous message
Criselda
I am a Windows user and I also just joined this forum, it's nice to be a part of this community.

Thanks for the info in this thread.
Previous Topic: Oracle to SQL Server/MY SQL Migration
Next Topic: Download Manager for Oracle software
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:45:53 CDT 2024