Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Tablespace recovery (10.2.0.3 on Windows 2003)
Tablespace recovery [message #416026] Thu, 30 July 2009 03:58 Go to next message
jalcroft

Hi all

My Oracle server crashed last week and I am pulling my hair out for being so stupid and not doing what I tell others to do.

I do Oracle exports every night of our development and testing schema's. This is done with a script generating a .par file with all schema owners which contain a specific table.

What I had totally forgotten is that we have a FAQ and Forum schema. Guess what, these don't contain my specific table.

I have the .dbf files. I have copies of the control file.

I have created a new database, named the same on my laptop. I have copied the control file and have my database working with just the default data. When I try to recreate my control file to add in my two tablespaces, I get error 1159 (file is not from the same database as previous files - wrong database id).

Questions:
How do I find out what the database id was on my crashed database? If I can find this, how do I create my new database with the sames ID.
If I can't get this, is it possible to add this data file?
Or should I just cut my losses and get shouted at?

Many thanks for your help

James
Re: Tablespace recovery [message #416087 is a reply to message #416026] Thu, 30 July 2009 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>I have the .dbf files. I have copies of the control file.
Are these from a valid "cold" backup?
If so,
just copy them in a similar directory structure( in new machine) and just mount the database.
Else, you may be out of luck.
Please be aware that EXPORT is not a backup. It is just a method to move the data/objects around.
Quote:
I have created a new database, named the same on my laptop. I have copied the control file and have my database working with just the default data.

This will not work. You cannot just "plug" the datafiles from another database unless it is something transportable tablespaces.
Re: Tablespace recovery [message #416090 is a reply to message #416087] Thu, 30 July 2009 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jalcroft

Thanks for the reply.

The primary drive (C:) crashed on the server. Drive D: and E: were Ok. the two data files were on D: and E:.

I have had to rebuild the db and I have tried adding the data file from the D: and get the same error.
Re: Tablespace recovery [message #416147 is a reply to message #416090] Thu, 30 July 2009 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
You didn't answer Mahesh's key question:

Mahesh Rajendran wrote on Thu, 30 July 2009 08:21
>>I have the .dbf files. I have copies of the control file.
Are these from a valid "cold" backup?

Another question would be...are all the .dbf, redo log and control file(s) recoverable from the D: and E: drives?
Re: Tablespace recovery [message #416206 is a reply to message #416147] Fri, 31 July 2009 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jalcroft

Not from any backup, the drives where these data files were are in tact and I still have a backup control file.

James
Re: Tablespace recovery [message #416223 is a reply to message #416206] Fri, 31 July 2009 04:50 Go to previous message
ebrian
You "may" be able to simply recreate the Windoze Oracle service with oradim and start the database and let it do instance recovery.
Previous Topic: point in time recovery in oracle 10g.
Next Topic: Incrementally updated backups
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:49:02 CDT 2024