Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » How to restart a restore after it failed ? (9i, Linux sles8)
How to restart a restore after it failed ? [message #412058] Tue, 07 July 2009 10:07 Go to next message
dirkm
Hi all, please can you point me in the right direction. I do not know what to search for (my english is failing me here).

I think there is a way to continue a restore after it has failed, from the point at which it failed. For example you start a restore, but half way through the restore it fails because a directory you are trying to restore does not exist. So you create the directory, and then want to continue the restore from where it failed.

What is the command (or the option) to search for ?

Dirk
Re: How to restart a restore after it failed ? [message #412060 is a reply to message #412058] Tue, 07 July 2009 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

>>I think there is a way to continue a restore after it has failed, from the point at which it failed. For example you start a restore, but half way through the restore it fails because a directory you are trying to restore does not exist. So you create the directory, and then want to continue the restore from where it failed.

NO Need to continue from failed restore. You can restore/recover your entire database once you fix your problem

Ba bu
Re: How to restart a restore after it failed ? [message #412063 is a reply to message #412058] Tue, 07 July 2009 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
What is the command (or the option) to search for ?

The same one you previously execute. Oracle will see what is already restored and what is not.

Regards
Michel
Re: How to restart a restore after it failed ? [message #412073 is a reply to message #412063] Tue, 07 July 2009 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dirkm
Thank you. Just to confirm, do I just repeat the restore command:

restore database; - if I am still in the same rman session ...

ie. I do not need to rerun the previous commands ("set newname")?

My script is very basic -

1. set newname ...
2. restore database;
3. switch datafile all;
4. recover database;

I just rerun / start from step 2 ?

Dirk
Re: How to restart a restore after it failed ? [message #412076 is a reply to message #412058] Tue, 07 July 2009 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dirkm
If I understand it correctly the controlfile already has the information for the restore up to where it failed, so fixing the error (in this example, the directory) and then running the restore database command again, will continue the restore where it last stopped (failed) ?

Re: How to restart a restore after it failed ? [message #412077 is a reply to message #412076] Tue, 07 July 2009 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
No, it just checks if the file you want to restore is already there or not.

Regards
Michel
Re: How to restart a restore after it failed ? [message #412078 is a reply to message #412058] Tue, 07 July 2009 11:52 Go to previous message
dirkm
Thank you Michel
Previous Topic: Recover a package body
Next Topic: Flashback confusion...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:17:07 CDT 2024