Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » SAN storage Migration using ASM (Oracle 10g RAC with ASM Windows Server 2003)
SAN storage Migration using ASM [message #409268] Sun, 21 June 2009 07:47 Go to next message
marcobain
Hi All,

We recently acquire an EMC storage and would like to migrate the existing database (Oracle 10g RAC with ASM) on windows 2003 server from NetApp storage to EMC. I read a few documents that its possible to use ASM to migrate to another SAN storage but I could not find the exact procedure or detailed documentation about this. We tried to use OpenMigrator but has failed. Can anyone please assist me or provide any links/documents to achieve the migration using ASM.

Thank you,
marcobain
Re: SAN storage Migration using ASM [message #409466 is a reply to message #409268] Mon, 22 June 2009 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
If the storage is same, there are some tricks where EMC support can help you. Essentially, you just copy the partitions/LUNS across which can be done even online!.
Since storage is different, you can use RMAN.
ASM is just a volume manager.
Cook new partitions in your "new storage".
Make them available to Oracle user.
Using DBCA see if you can create a new ASM diskgroup.
Say,
+current_NETAPP/mydatabase 

is your current asm diskgroup used for production.
create a new diskgroup
+new_EMC/mydatabase

YOu can follow the method described in docs
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmasm.htm#i1016547

Though it talks about migrating between non-asm to asm,
process still applies for asm to asm.
You use RMAN to restore files to an ASM.

Re: SAN storage Migration using ASM [message #409545 is a reply to message #409466] Tue, 23 June 2009 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
marcobain
Thank you Mahesh.. I give this a shot and update you..

Thanks,
marcobain
Re: SAN storage Migration using ASM [message #409699 is a reply to message #409545] Tue, 23 June 2009 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Forgot something.
What are your plans for OCR and Voting disks?
ASM will hold only database files.
Usually, OCR/Voting will be in the same SAN area (outside ASM).
Re: SAN storage Migration using ASM [message #409794 is a reply to message #409699] Wed, 24 June 2009 01:44 Go to previous message
marcobain
I found this online do you think I can use this:

ocrconfig -replace ocr/ocrmirror to migrate the OCR (Online)

Votedisks, to bring the cluster down (due to a bug in 10g, online if you are 11)..

crsctl query css votedisk
crsctl add css votedisk <new vote disk> /crsctl delete css votedisk <old vote disk>

thanks,
marcobain
Previous Topic: What are the impact of RAC on the PL/SQL programming
Next Topic: 11g cluster and 10g database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:15:13 CDT 2024