Home » Server Options » Data Guard » How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard (Oracle 10.2.0.4 , linux and windows)
How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408760] Wed, 17 June 2009 12:54 Go to next message
NarenG
Please send the steps or screenshots to implement the oracle dataguard in linux and windows

Thanks,
Naren
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408761 is a reply to message #408760] Wed, 17 June 2009 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

What about reading the documentation?

Regards
Michel
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408764 is a reply to message #408761] Wed, 17 June 2009 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NarenG
Michel,

I didn't get any proper documentation title now,

Can you please send me steps or document or link etc.

Thanks,
Naren
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408767 is a reply to message #408760] Wed, 17 June 2009 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://tahiti.oracle.com
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408784 is a reply to message #408760] Wed, 17 June 2009 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NarenG
BlackSwan,

I didnt much info in that link.

Can please guide me

Thanks,
Naren
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408789 is a reply to message #408784] Wed, 17 June 2009 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babuknb

Okay. Try This
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408812 is a reply to message #408784] Wed, 17 June 2009 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
NarenG wrote on Wed, 17 June 2009 22:45
BlackSwan,

I didnt much info in that link.

Can please guide me

Thanks,
Naren

If you are unable to find the link gentlebabu posted from the link BlackSwan posted, I don't think you are able to set up Data Guard.

Regards
Michel

Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408912 is a reply to message #408760] Thu, 18 June 2009 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sahba1969
hi,
the oracle documentation (Oracle 10g Data Guard Concepts and Administration) is a perferct start, weather on Windows or on Lunix.
you didn't mention the Oracle version, but I assume it will be oracle 10.2.0.3.

you can set dataguard on one Server (for two instances), if you have reasonable amount of disks and memory, or on physically separated servers.
Important to note, that both version and release of Oracle SW and OS should be identical.

On oracle web page, you'll find a link to Oracle Online Documentation. You can also download the whole oracle documentation to your hard drive, for faster reference.

We can't send a rough list of steps to setup a dataguard, since we don't know anything about what type of dataguard your configuration is planning to have.

have fun with the setup.
regards
sahba
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408913 is a reply to message #408912] Thu, 18 June 2009 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Sahba1969 wrote on Thu, 18 June 2009 06:09

Important to note, that both version and release of Oracle SW and OS should be identical.

Technically, the O/S does not have to be identical. The OP would know that for them self by referring to the documentation the others have linked to.
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408920 is a reply to message #408760] Thu, 18 June 2009 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sahba1969
hi brain,
I wanted to mention one of the most important prerequistes as a start point for Naren. Your comment is uninformational in this context.

For Oracle 10g, which I assumed to be the Version for Setup, the follwoing gilt:
A list describes hardware and operating system requirements for using Data Guard:
■ All members of a Data Guard configuration must run an Oracle image that is built for the same platform.
For example, this means a Data Guard configuration with a primary database on a 32-bit Linux on Intel system can have a standby database that is configured on a 32-bit Linux on Intel system. However, a primary database on a 64-bit HP-UX
system can also be configured with a standby database on a 32-bit HP-UX system, as long as both servers are running 32-bit images.
■ The hardware (for example, the number of CPUs, memory size, storage configuration) can be different between the primary and standby systems. If the standby system is smaller than the primary system, you may have to restrict the work that can be done on the standby system after a switchover or failover.
The standby system must have enough resources available to receive and apply all redo data from the primary database. The logical standby database requires additional resources to translate the redo data into SQL statements and then execute the SQL on the logical standby database.
The operating system running on the primary and standby locations must be the same, but the operating system release does not need to be the same. In addition, the standby database can use a different directory structure from the primary database.

I wanted to point out for Naren, that you cannot mix Windows with Unix in Oracle 10.2 to Setup the Dataguard.

regards
Sahba

Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408930 is a reply to message #408920] Thu, 18 June 2009 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Sahba1969 wrote on Thu, 18 June 2009 06:44
hi brain,
Your comment is uninformational in this context.

Uninformational ?? Is that even a word ?

In fact my comment is quite INFORMATIVE. Do you realize the text just pasted above from the documentation proves how INFORMATIVE my comment is ?
Re: How to create Physical standby database and steps for dataguard [message #408977 is a reply to message #408930] Thu, 18 June 2009 10:07 Go to previous message
babuknb

I think; some mis-understanding happen; but both are statements correct. Razz

Thanks
Previous Topic: PHYSICAL STANDBY SWITCHOVER PROBLEM
Next Topic: data guard configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:54:16 CDT 2024