Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Slow backup (merged)
RMAN Slow backup (merged) [message #400429] Tue, 28 April 2009 03:15 Go to next message
rsreddy28
Hello ,

We have an RMAN backup that runs every week . The size of the database is around 1.2 Tb . It took around 12 hours to complete the backup . The informatica jobs are getting failed because of the long backup. Recently we have moved the server from Windows to Linux and from then it's taking a longer time .

SGA_TARGET=10g
Large_pool=160m

I've attached the RMAN parameters that we are using . Please have a look and help to improve the speed of the backup from the database side.

Regards,
Raj

• Attachment: RMAN.txt
    (Size: 0.81KB, Downloaded 1332 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 28 April 2009 03:20]

Report message to a moderator

RMAN Slow backup [message #400430 is a reply to message #400429] Tue, 28 April 2009 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsreddy28
Hello ,

We have an RMAN backup that runs every week . The size of the database is around 1.2 Tb . It took around 12 hours to complete the backup . The informatica jobs are getting failed because of the long backup. Recently we have moved the server from Windows to Linux and from then it's taking a longer time .

SGA_TARGET=10g
Large_pool=160m

I've attached the RMAN parameters that we are using . Please have a look and help to improve the speed of the backup from the database side.

Regards,
Raj
Re: RMAN Slow backup (merged) [message #400431 is a reply to message #400429] Tue, 28 April 2009 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
DO NOT multipost your topics.
If you have an error FIRST check if it is not in the forum topic list then AND ONLY THEN repost if needed.

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN Slow backup (merged) [message #400440 is a reply to message #400431] Tue, 28 April 2009 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsreddy28
Sorry Mike , I did not intentionally multi post the query . It happened by mistake .

And I did search for the solution , but I could not find . Can you help me in that
Re: RMAN Slow backup (merged) [message #400451 is a reply to message #400429] Tue, 28 April 2009 04:44 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Insufficient information.
No Exact Oracle version information, OS information, File System information.
No information on what kind of backup is done, how it is done.
No information on number of channels used or hardware capacities available.
We can only be as generic as possible.
You are backing to a filesystem, have a dedicated /backup with dedicated spindles to handle the I/O.
If you are backing to a remote filesystem, it is separate beast.
Network round trips are very costly for smaller files.
Look into block change tracking.
Is there any compression done? Incremental backups?

Previous Topic: recovering after loss of rman catalog
Next Topic: recover tablespace in noarchivemode
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:32:33 CDT 2024