Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Recovery Manager - Hot Backup (Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 Enterprise Edition - Running on Windows 2003 Server)
icon4.gif  Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397750] Mon, 13 April 2009 15:06 Go to next message
prafus
Hello Experts!

I`m pretty new to Oracle and everything that means backup and restore. I`ve created a hot backup script and I just want to find out a few opinions about it. I need it for a database who has to be 24/7 up and i`m planning to do incremental level 0 database backup every Sunday and incremental level 1 backup every day of the week. So here it is the incremental level 0 script for every Sunday:

Here is the Rman configuration:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 'D:\oracle\ora92
\database\controlfile\%F';
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 2;
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1;
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1;
CONFIGURE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT   'C:\backup\backup_DB_%U_%d_%s_%t';
CONFIGURE CHANNEL c2 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT   'D:\oracle\ora92\database\backup\backup_DB_%U_%d_%s_%t';
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'D:\ORACLE\ORA92\DATABASE\SNAPSHOTCF\SNCF
ANDREI.ORA';

And now the hot backup scrip for Sunday:

RMAN> run
2> {
3> backup incremental level=0 database plus archivelog tag="full";
4> sql 'alter system archive log current';
5> backup archivelog all format 'C:\backup\log_%U_%d_%s_%t';
6> delete archivelog all completed before 'sysdate-1';
7> crosscheck backup;
8> delete expired backup;
9> crosscheck archivelog all;
10> delete expired archivelog all;
11> delete obsolete;
12> }

I know that i include the archive log in backup and then take backup again...but i just want to know you`re opinion, if the script is good and what you guys as experts would like to change at it! Please answer this post ... you`ll make me feel more confident if you will help.

Thank You, in advance!
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397751 is a reply to message #397750] Mon, 13 April 2009 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator

Backups are never a problem.
Restore would be Wink

So, backup and do several test restores of all scenarios and document the procedures.
And test if the above said procedures will work as documented.
Randomly do test restores/duplication.

Why do you have two very different channels?
And you are on unsupported version.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 15:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397753 is a reply to message #397750] Mon, 13 April 2009 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prafus
As you can see, mister, i did duplexing on different partition, in case that something happens to always have what to restore... and the rest it`s just checkings... I would like to know if "recovery window = 7 days" it`s good how it`s set, and i know that the script work but the "experts eye" can tell a lot only at first sight....so please give me an advice, what to change... or how should I do to improve it and the safety of recovering. Excuse my bad english....and Thank You!
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397755 is a reply to message #397750] Mon, 13 April 2009 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prafus
I had two because one channel it`s used to do the backup for c: and the other for d:.... Confused am I missing something? it`s not the right way? help please...

Unsupported version? please explain... Thank You!

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 15:24]

Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397758 is a reply to message #397755] Mon, 13 April 2009 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You did duplexing?
With this?
>>CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1;

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmbackp.htm#455262

How many drives you have in your disk?
If you backing to C:\ and D:\,
where is your database?
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397759 is a reply to message #397755] Mon, 13 April 2009 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Unsupported version? please explain... Thank You!
Quoting the information you provided
Quote:
Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 Enterprise Edition

http://www.dba-oracle.com/topica/oracle_9i_de_support_july_2007.htm
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397760 is a reply to message #397758] Mon, 13 April 2009 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prafus
"CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 2;"

I did duplexing with the command above but the comand only save two copies in the same place. so i use two channels and "CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1;" and rman makes two backups one on c and one on d...my database it`s on D:\oracle\ora92.

Would you like to say that I should use only ONE channel and:

CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 2;
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 2;

and

RMAN> run
2> {
3> backup incremental level=0 database plus archivelog format '<path>','<path>' tag="full";
4> sql 'alter system archive log current';
5> backup archivelog all format 'C:\backup\log_%U_%d_%s_%t';
6> delete archivelog all completed before 'sysdate-1';
7> crosscheck backup;
8> delete expired backup;
9> crosscheck archivelog all;
10> delete expired archivelog all;
11> delete obsolete;
12> }

Smile I know what duplexing is...i read a lot from the documentation it`s just that it`s a lot of terms and getting me confused..Smile Thank You...
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397762 is a reply to message #397750] Mon, 13 April 2009 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prafus
well here it is: (i bet that a lot of peoples searching this on the web Razz)

Hot Backup (full) with duplexing (made every Sunday):

rman configuration:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 'D:\oracle\ora92\database\controlfile\%F';
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 2;
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 2;
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'D:\ORACLE\ORA92\DATABASE\SNAPSHOTCF\SNCF
ANDREI.ORA';

script:

RMAN> run
2> {
3> backup incremental level=0 database plus archivelog format 'C:\backup\backup_DB_%U_%d_%s_%t','D:\oracle\ora92\database\backup\backup_DB_%U_%d_%s_%t' tag="full";
4> delete archivelog all completed before 'sysdate-1';
5> crosscheck backup;
6> delete expired backup;
7> crosscheck archivelog all;
8> delete expired archivelog all;
9> delete obsolete;
10> }

Remember this is incomplete... I will post soon the script for backup made over the week....and don`t use it before you test it...

If someone test this script more 'deeply' and has bad/good results please post!
If someone has objections or improvements for it....or anything please post it! Thank you!

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 16:33]

Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397764 is a reply to message #397760] Mon, 13 April 2009 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Would you like to say that I should use only ONE channel
I never asked anything like that.
I asked why were you using two channels with different Formats.
That was before I realized you were intending to duplex.
The previous configuration posted would create only 1 set of files and duplexing was out of question.

I believe, you can format within the run block also.
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397766 is a reply to message #397764] Mon, 13 April 2009 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prafus
Quote:

it`s "CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1;" i`m tired it`s 1 am here...

Mister Mahesh Rajendran, Thank You...I visit often this forum and i can see that you keep almost the entire forum alive within you`re good answers. Thank you for the very quick reply! and I hope that you will help me in the future cause i have "tons of questions"... Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 16:42]

Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397918 is a reply to message #397750] Tue, 14 April 2009 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prafus
hm... I have one question! It is possible that rman to create a duplex copy on another computer disk? if yes, how? give me an example please...
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397924 is a reply to message #397750] Tue, 14 April 2009 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>(Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 Enterprise Edition - Running on Windows 2003 Server)
Not a supported configuration & V9 is no longer supported.

>It is possible that rman to create a duplex copy on another computer disk?

A "duplex copy" of exactly what?

How would an independent observer conclude this problem has been correctly & completely solved?
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397926 is a reply to message #397750] Tue, 14 April 2009 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prafus
Hey BlackSwan!

As you can see in the script above, when doing backup one backup set it`s going to C:\backup and other to D:\oracle\ora92\database\backup.
What I want to know it`s that it`s posible for example one of the backup set to go to a disk of another computer in the network... Hope you understand! my english it`s not such good...
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #397929 is a reply to message #397926] Tue, 14 April 2009 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Always search before posting.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/?t=rview&goto=394938#msg_394938
See what EBrian has to say.
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #398087 is a reply to message #397750] Wed, 15 April 2009 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prafus
Thank You! again..and again... you guys are a walking oracle wikipedia Shocked Smile)...

Now another question (set) it`s hunting me.

When you want to duplex backup set on two disks (C: and D:) and i`m not using 2 different channels (i don`t have configured "Configure Channel 1 for device tpe disk..." and "Configure Channel 2 for device tpe disk..."), my Parallelism value how should it be: 1 or 2?
as you can see above when doing backup i`m using "backup ... format 'C:...','D:...';".
What it`s the proper way to configure paralelism and maxsetsize for backup time to be smaller?

Hope that you will answer me... Best regards!
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #398105 is a reply to message #398087] Wed, 15 April 2009 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trantuananh24hg
About RMAN Channels

You will find the concept of channel & parallelism!
Re: Recovery Manager - Hot Backup [message #398146 is a reply to message #398087] Wed, 15 April 2009 06:26 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Parallelism depends on number for CPU you have.
Be advised that in this version, it is not real parallelism that is been used.
Only in 11g you can make backups across multiple channels by using multisection backups.

Previous Topic: Recovering 1 terabyte data
Next Topic: RMAN BACKUP RESTORE on a NEW system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:49:22 CDT 2024