Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Restore not up to date (Oracle, 10.2.0.4.0, Windows Server 2003)
Restore not up to date [message #396014] Fri, 03 April 2009 09:30 Go to next message
shekharnegi12
Hello,

I've backed up our DB disk on a disk using Backup Exec (Symantec). Symantec is just an interface to make different processes intuitive and eventually it uses RMAN for backup and restore. When I started the restore it showed me that its using the same source to get its files(disk where I backed up my DB) but after copying the control files to the destination it switches to one of my old backup that was done on a tape. I tried to restore again and again but RMAN does the same thing. Below are my RMAN paramters:

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 2 DAYS;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F';
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'C:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2\DATABASE\SNCFprod1
.ORA'; # default

Any input would be appreciate.

Thanks,
SN
Re: Restore not up to date [message #396038 is a reply to message #396014] Fri, 03 April 2009 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shekharnegi12
So I guess whats happening here is that once the control files are restored from the disk for some reason it references to the data files that are present on the tape.
Re: Restore not up to date [message #396050 is a reply to message #396014] Fri, 03 April 2009 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dzt52r
I really don't know what you are doing, but it could be a situation where you have a full backup on tape and an incremental backup on disk. If this is true RMAN will restore the full before it can do the incremental. Let the restore run the whole way through and see what you end up with. If there is still issues post a log of the restore and if available logs from the tape and disk backup.
Re: Restore not up to date [message #396080 is a reply to message #396050] Fri, 03 April 2009 13:38 Go to previous message
shekharnegi12
We are doing a full backup everytime (incremental 0) thrice a day.

I really don't know what you are doing
I'm performing a restore from a full backup thats on a disk. However after copying the control files it goes to the tape media to perform the remaining restore (i.e.to get all the data files). It is not suppose to perform restore from 2 media because disk media has all the data it requires.

Thanks,
SN
Previous Topic: What's the recommended guideline on backing up a recovery catalog?
Next Topic: RAC, ASM RMAN Backup Restore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:07:16 CDT 2024