Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Can't Install any Oracle successfully!! (Ive tried them all, on XP)
icon4.gif  Can't Install any Oracle successfully!! [message #393174] Fri, 20 March 2009 11:36 Go to next message
balla4eva33
Despite what I do, I can't get Oracle to successfully install and work on my machine. When I installed 10g standard edition, it installed all the way but no matter how many listeners i created it kept failing to let me log in because there were "no listeners". I went to xe, but it won't install. It sits on the installshield screen and the progress bar never moves. (I let it go all night, and stsill nothing) It's stuck at "Creating and starting services". Is there someway I can manually do that so I can get this stupid thing working!!? Thanks in advance for any help!!

-Matt
Re: Can't Install any Oracle successfully!! [message #393181 is a reply to message #393174] Fri, 20 March 2009 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
The first thing that comes to mind, is that Oracle is only supported on the Professional Version of XP, not on XP Home.

Other than that, the reason why the install fails should be in the installer log file that is created.
Re: Can't Install any Oracle successfully!! [message #393186 is a reply to message #393174] Fri, 20 March 2009 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Just a minor point of order....
No listener is required to access Oracle RDBMS via SQL*Plus from the local database server system.
Re: Can't Install any Oracle successfully!! [message #393216 is a reply to message #393174] Fri, 20 March 2009 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
balla4eva33
Ok, so I think my error was in using parentheses in my path. I totally wasn't thinking when I set that initially. After "DE"-installing and installing again, express edition worked, but I don't like how it's laid out at all. I gave the standard edition another try thinking that my error was in the path still, and everything installed fine again, but i cannot use mysql *plus. You say a listener isn't necessary for mysql *plus, and i thought that was the case, but I guess i'm too ignorant to get on then, because everytime I enter a name, password, and host string, it gives me an error of no listener. I AM on XP Media Center Edition, so if it's only supported on Professional, I'll give up now and we'll all just go on about our business i suppose! Is it possible?

Thanks,
Matt
Re: Can't Install any Oracle successfully!! [message #393231 is a reply to message #393216] Fri, 20 March 2009 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
First, there is no such thing as "mysql *plus".

I don't know what's the difference between XP Home and Media Center, but I suspect the required parts that Oracle needs from Professional are not in there

So I'm pretty sure it's not possible to install Oracle on that so that it really works.
Re: Can't Install any Oracle successfully!! [message #393253 is a reply to message #393174] Fri, 20 March 2009 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
> everytime I enter a name, password, and host string, it gives me an error of no listener.
I suspect you invoked the "wrong" utility.
I suspect you invoked sqlplusw; which expects/requires hostname & utilizes SQL*Net.

If you bring up a command window & invoke sqlplus next you should see:
Username:
if then enter the following
/ as sysdba
you'll get the following prompt:
SQL >
& you have just successfully connected/logged into to the DB.

Re: Can't Install any Oracle successfully!! [message #393264 is a reply to message #393174] Fri, 20 March 2009 23:56 Go to previous message
balla4eva33
Well, we use Oracle 10g at school and when we login in, we begin entering sql commands in the "mySQL *Plus" screen. So if no such thing exists, my university clearly knows magic! LOL

When I attempt to follow BlackSwan's advice, i get an error:
"ERROR:
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error"

But if this is all only for xp professional, thanks anyways..

Matt
Previous Topic: How to return a TABLE datatype using ADODB
Next Topic: Which one to install at first ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:01:05 CDT 2024