Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Full export, smaller import file sizes (Oracle 10.2.0.2, Solaris)
Full export, smaller import file sizes [message #388644] Wed, 25 February 2009 15:03 Go to next message
gatsby
Hello,

I recently took a full export of my database using expdp with the intention of manually importing it on another database. When I imported the database schema by schema with impdp, I saw a few schemas took up less space in their datafiles. For example, schema_webapp takes up about 700MB in the source database, and when it is imported to the destination it is about 600MB. Other schemas that were imported on this destination database are the exact same size as on the source, however. No errors were observed when importing any schema.

It seems obvious that not all the data is being imported, but since it was originally a full export and since there were no errors during import, is there another reason to explain the disparity in file space between datafiles between source and destination databases? Is this some sort of compaction at work? Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 February 2009 15:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Full export, smaller import file sizes [message #388645 is a reply to message #388644] Wed, 25 February 2009 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Based upon your post, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
So we can help you & please be consistent & correct in your postings.
Re: Full export, smaller import file sizes [message #388689 is a reply to message #388644] Wed, 25 February 2009 23:07 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Space used in source database depends on the file of data (delete/insert/update/drop table/create new ones...) and so there maybe holes in the blocks and/or datafiles (that can be reused afterwards).
Space used in target is just the result of object creations and inserts and so tends to use less and contiguous blocks.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: How to check all the successful full backup in RMAN
Next Topic: Script for Schedule Backup.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 11:23:40 CDT 2024