Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Possible Combinations between RMAN and TDE (10gR2/Win2003)
Possible Combinations between RMAN and TDE [message #385009] Fri, 06 February 2009 02:45 Go to next message
TomG
Hello,

I understand that TDE protects the live data while Secure backup protects the backup itself (application structure, users/passwords...).
But I would need some clarifications about possible behaviours of RMAN with a TDE Database.
I cannot find any document summarizing all the cases. All stuff I found always use RMAN Encryption as soon as TDE is used (ie wallet exists).
If I need DB Encryption via TDE I may consider to backup it normally (ie no backup encryption).

I've made some tests but I'd like to get your opinion please. Can you please let me know if following assumptions are (always) TRUE ?

1. Database containing encrypted columns (with TDE) can be backed up like any *normal* database, ie no obligation *at all* to use RMAN Encrypted Backup feature.
In this case intially encrypted data backed up are still protected in any restore as wallet is always needed.

2. Database containing encrypted columns (with TDE) can be backed up whatever the wallet status (closed or open)

3. Only RMAN Encrypted Backup requires the wallet to be OPEN

4. As summary :

-------------------------------------
                     |           RMAN (NoCatalog)	 |
----------------------------------------------------------
| Database using TDE | Uncrypted Backup | Crypted Backup |
| Wallet Closed      |        OK        |      FAILS     |
| Wallet Open        |        OK        |       OK       |

Thanks,
Tom
Re: Possible Combinations between RMAN and TDE [message #385013 is a reply to message #385009] Fri, 06 February 2009 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
TDE protects againts theft of files and SQL accesses when wallet is closed.
RMAN works at physical level.
So files backed up with RMAN are protected by TDE, that is encrypted, wallet open or not.
Wallets refered by encrypted backup and TDE are different ones.

Regards
Michel

Re: Possible Combinations between RMAN and TDE [message #385022 is a reply to message #385013] Fri, 06 February 2009 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TomG
Thanks for your answer.

I would need further clarification on :
Quote:
Wallets refered by encrypted backup and TDE are different ones

As per 10gR2 Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide :

Quote:
Both transparent mode and dual mode depend upon the Oracle Encryption Wallet. See Oracle Advanced Security Administrator's Guide for details about configuring the Oracle Encryption Wallet.
When using transparent encryption, you must first configure the Oracle Encryption Wallet, as described in the documentation for Oracle's Transparent Data Encryption feature. After the Oracle Encryption Wallet is configured, encrypted backups can be created and restored with no further DBA intervention.

Encryption Backup wallet seems refer to TDE one. Could you please give me more details ?
Thanks.
Re: Possible Combinations between RMAN and TDE [message #385026 is a reply to message #385022] Fri, 06 February 2009 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You're right, I was thinking about autologin wallet for backup.
I think your summary is correct.

Regards
Michel
Re: Possible Combinations between RMAN and TDE [message #385038 is a reply to message #385026] Fri, 06 February 2009 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TomG
Thanks.
Do you mean my 4 initial assumptions are all correct ?
Tom
Re: Possible Combinations between RMAN and TDE [message #385040 is a reply to message #385038] Fri, 06 February 2009 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes I think so.

Regards
Michel
Re: Possible Combinations between RMAN and TDE [message #385045 is a reply to message #385009] Fri, 06 February 2009 05:08 Go to previous message
TomG
Thanks a lot Michel.
Tom
Previous Topic: referendum of backup strategy
Next Topic: Heterogeneous services
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:01:51 CDT 2024