Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN Backup done..Now what should I do?
RMAN Backup done..Now what should I do? [message #383519] Thu, 29 January 2009 01:08 Go to next message
Himanshu.Padmanabhi
Hi Geeks,I have very little knowledge about oracle 11g and probably database as a whole.I am asking very primitive question here.please help.

I want to carry out this simple test.

Create database.Fill it with entries.Take backup using RMAN.Do some changes.Then restore database to revert to original database.

I created a database through "Database Configuration Assistant" named "testingdb".

Then through RMAN,I took the cold backup as mentioned in one document.

run {
shutdown immediate
startup nomount;
sql 'alter database mount';
backup full
tag full_offline_backup
format '\app\Administrator\flash_recovery_area\TESTINGDB\%d_%U_%T'
(database);
sql 'alter database open';
}

(I am backing up "testingdb" here.But where this name is specified in the above code?should I replace (database) with any name?only format thing I changed according to my requirement.Do I need to change anything more above.)

So in "\app\Administrator\flash_recovery_area\TESTINGDB\",I got 2 backup files.All goes well here.

Now,I should change some data so that I can confirm that restore,recover operation takes place successfully.Is it correct way to check recovery,restore?

If I do,"select * from testingdb;",table doesn't exist by this name.

Then using web-based database control,choosing database instance as "testingdb",I created table under "Data Movement->Move Row data->Load data from user files",now this I can see using "select * from table_under_testingdb?".

Now I will restore to retain to my previous state using,

run {

shutdown immediate
startup nomount
set until SCN=348981;
restore controlfile;
alter database mount;
restore database;
recover database noredo;
alter database open resetlogs;

}
(Is this the correct code for recovery,restore?)

Now "table_under_testingdb?" created above should not be present as at the backup time it was not there.Right?

Am I going on the right track?Or there is any other way of backup/recovery using RMAN.

Re: RMAN Backup done..Now what should I do? [message #383522 is a reply to message #383519] Thu, 29 January 2009 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarundua

Remember to format the code before posting. Go through the documentation for learning.
Re: RMAN Backup done..Now what should I do? [message #383633 is a reply to message #383519] Thu, 29 January 2009 06:51 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
First, If you are learning something new in Oracle, DO NOT USE GUI.
That is specifically advised for all RMAN/backup and recovery, administrative concepts.
As another prominent member of this forum would say,
"Those who live by GUI will die by GUI".

The documentation is a better place to start instead of doing some guess work.
A restore/recover will bring the database to the state as before.
Had you created tables and dropped them,
Restore/recover will also create and drop them.
So you will not be seeing them.

Do point-in-time restore or based on SCN.
Select a point just before you decided to drop the tables.

>>?Or there is any other way of backup/recovery using RMAN.

Use RMAN. Not the OEM GUI interface for RMAN.
And please search this forum/google/documentation before posting.
Most questions are already answered in one form or another.
Previous Topic: Database Creattion
Next Topic: RMAN DUPLICATE error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:57:08 CDT 2024