Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Backup Policy (Oracle 10g, Windows 2003 R2)
Backup Policy [message #382477] Thu, 22 January 2009 09:10 Go to next message
Sergi
Hello.

I'm the DBA of a (currently) small Oracle database (<10Gb) which is expected to have quite a grow in the future (Before 2009 end, or that's the plan anyway). The Oracle version is 10.2.0.3.0 and it's running on Windows 2003 R2 Server.

We have a user-managed backup procedure: Each day, around 03:00 AM, a scheduled .bat file executes a .sql script which puts all tablespaces on backup mode, does a DOS copy command to a backup folder, quits backup mode, backups control files and switches log files.

In the end, we get a daily folder with all the control files, initXXX.ora file, archivelogs and DBF files. All of this on the raid 5 disks in the server.

This was done because when the Database was setup, there were no integrated backup method. Also, there is no defined recovery procedure (nor it has been attempted so far). (I had nothing to do with this...)

Right now we are in the process of setting up a proper backup hardware and procedures. To be precise, HP Data Protector and HP EVA.

Which backup policy would you implement for this ?

My thoughts currently are like this:
+ Move all DB files to an EVA disk volume
+ Create another disk vol for backups
+ Do a nightly dump to that volume disk with RMAN
+ Finally, do tape backups from there

Any suggestions about what would you in this case ?
Also, any experience/guide/wise words about a migration procedure like this one ?

Thanks in advance
Re: Backup Policy [message #382479 is a reply to message #382477] Thu, 22 January 2009 09:25 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I would use RMAN to do a hot backup.
I would use RMAN to duplicate/restore the production database to another database in same server/another server.
Script the above procedures so that it can be executed simply by pushing a button (script, actually) and document everything.
Do this frequently and randomly.
This way, you can make sure that your backups are good, the restoration procedures are time tested and may be you can avoid some surprises in case of a real disaster.
>>My thoughts currently are like this:
Seems fine.
Backing up is not the problem.
Restoring them is.
Previous Topic: RMAN backup problem-UNUSUAL
Next Topic: Backup of temp tblspace after restore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:17:28 CDT 2024