Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN-06908 when using Tivoli on 10g Std Edition (Oracle 10.1.0.2.0 std. ed, Windows Server 2003 Sp1)
RMAN-06908 when using Tivoli on 10g Std Edition [message #381213] Thu, 15 January 2009 19:32 Go to next message
msqazi
Hello Experts I need your advise.

I just setup my Backup on Tape for Oracle DB 10.1.0.2.0 Standard Ed running on Windows Server 2003 SP1. I am using Tivoli Data Protection for Oracle: Version 5.2.0.0.

My Retention Policy is set to 7 Day Recovery Window. I am using Customized policy to take Whole Database Offline Backup every Week (Saturday) and use that for base of incremental backup strategy on Tape

Then I have another job to take Incremental Level 1 backup on Tape running daily with option to Referesh the lastest datafile on disk to current time using incremental backup option. This is an Online backup. I have back up all archived logs on disk option checked as well. I delete obsolete back up with daily incremental backup.

my DB is 50GB and my Flash Recovery area is 70GB.

After I did my first full backup, I ran Restore Database Validate; and got the following warning.

RMAN-06908: WARNING: operation will not run in parallel on
the allocated channels
AN-06909: WARNING: parallelism require Enterprise Edition

Can you please advise if my policy is good for recovery to 7 days. and also what does those warning mean? will i be able to restore & recover my DB using tape or no? I am using Enterprise manager to setup these jobs. Also is it ok to have full base backup offline and then incremental backup online?

Thanks
Adnan
Re: RMAN-06908 when using Tivoli on 10g Std Edition [message #381216 is a reply to message #381213] Thu, 15 January 2009 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
All things considered, this is an above average post;
especially since it is only #2 for you.

You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
So we can help you (& this is not meant as any criticism).

I suggest you place your DB into archive mode
& ship off archived logfiles.

You are doing the correct actions; test, test & re-test.
Document the whole recovery procedure so you'll have recipe
when you need to do the recovery for real.
Re: RMAN-06908 when using Tivoli on 10g Std Edition [message #381227 is a reply to message #381213] Thu, 15 January 2009 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
msqazi
I apologize for not formatting the above post properly, but will try better next time.

Yes, My DB is in Archivelog mode.

How about these warning messages?

RMAN-06908: WARNING: operation will not run in parallel on
the allocated channels
AN-06909: WARNING: parallelism require Enterprise Edition

I just want to clear my understanding about the whole process & have 2 more questions

1. Up untill now I had Oracle Suggested Strategy (both disk and tape) now since i am using Customized strategy how can i get rid of datafiles saved in my Flash Recovery Area as Image Copies. Can i just go to Manage Current Backups in the EM and delete those backups to reclaim free space in Flash Recovery Area

2. When I turned the archive mode on I did not take full Offline backup in my Production DB. Will running a full weekly offline backup be good for my future restore & recovery or RMAN will still be looking at old backup from suggested strategy.

Please clarify.
Thanks
Adnan
Re: RMAN-06908 when using Tivoli on 10g Std Edition [message #381262 is a reply to message #381227] Fri, 16 January 2009 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
How about these warning messages?

These messages warn that you don't have the license/edition to back up in parallel.
See your script or configuration paramaters and remove parallelism.

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN-06908 when using Tivoli on 10g Std Edition [message #381315 is a reply to message #381213] Fri, 16 January 2009 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
msqazi
Since I am on Std. Edition of Oracle enterprise manager I don't see the option of parallalism anywhere. I did not select this parameter, Where and how can I remove this?

Thanks
Re: RMAN-06908 when using Tivoli on 10g Std Edition [message #381325 is a reply to message #381315] Fri, 16 January 2009 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
How can I know if what you said is what you really have?
Post "show all".
Post your scripts.

Regards
Michel
Re: RMAN-06908 when using Tivoli on 10g Std Edition [message #381393 is a reply to message #381213] Fri, 16 January 2009 10:25 Go to previous message
msqazi
Hi:
Please review the show all results below. I have setup the backup strategy through

Enterprise manager and I do not see any place on the EM where it shows anything related to

Parallalism. I am not using any RMAN scripts on my own, Its all through Enterprise manager.

RMAN> show all;

using target database controlfile instead of recovery catalog
RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 7 DAYS;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE TO '%F'; # defa
ult
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET; # default

CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS  'ENV=(tdpo_optfile=c:\progra~1\t
ivoli\tsm\agentoba\tdpo.opt)';
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'D:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.1.0\DATABASE01\DATA
BASE\SNCFTESTDB.ORA'; # default

RMAN>

Thanks
Previous Topic: Export with mknod failing
Next Topic: RMAN error - OS 64
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:23:39 CDT 2024