Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » A question about hot backup process (10.2.0.3 on Solaris 8)
A question about hot backup process [message #380210] Fri, 09 January 2009 08:49 Go to next message
orausern
Hi,

I have a dev. db on Oracle 10g (10.2.0.3 on Solaris 8 ) for which I want to implement a simple process of hot backup. My question is: for simplicity, instead of putting each tablespace in backup mode and take it out of backup mode, can I put the whole db in backup mode and copy the control and data files and take the db out of backup mode:

- I plan to do it in offline hours when activities are less and db size is small and there is enough space so that by this if more redo is generated (compared to putting each tablespace in backup mode) than that is acceptable. so is the following process valid:

1) connect tothe db as sys
2) alter database begin backup
3) copy all the control and db files for the backup
4) alter database end backup
-or after doing it is needed to issue the- alter system switch logfile statement also? - if so what is the purpose of this statement?

Also another question is: I dont have enough space on the db server to hold the backups so after putting the db in backup mode , I transfer the file to windows server from solaris.
I have a 5 gb space on the server where I copy the files to be backed up and tar it and then from that mount point, I copy it to the windows machine. after that I delete the tarred file and then copy another file there and tar it till all files are done.Can this be done using rman?

The reason why I am going for user managed backup, not rman is that, we can't store the backup on the db server nor we have any tape backup, but we have a windows machine which can be used just to store the backups. so in that case is there a way that rman can be used?

Thanks a lot,
Nirav

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2009 08:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A question about hot backup process [message #380212 is a reply to message #380210] Fri, 09 January 2009 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Should work OK including a few details to follow.
1) DB must be in ARCHIVE mode
2) you should to a log switch before starting your steps
3) alter system switch logfile after copying files
4) copy all archived redo logfiles generate between #1 & #3 inclusive

I also STRONGLY suggest you do test restore while generating documented restoration procedures enumerating ALL steps.
So when it comes time to actually restore Production DB from backups, you'll have a solid recipe on how to do so.
Otherwise this will be an exercise in futility.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2009 09:03]

Re: A question about hot backup process [message #380215 is a reply to message #380210] Fri, 09 January 2009 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I transfer the file to windows server from solaris
Anyhow you are transferring the files.
You can transfer rman backupsets also.
Just do a test restore (using the files from windows machine) in either case (user managed or rman hot backup).
Do not screw up your backupsets.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2009 09:40]

Re: A question about hot backup process [message #380218 is a reply to message #380215] Fri, 09 January 2009 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thank you very much for your inputs. I will try out and test this process using rman backup sets.

With thanks
Nirav
Re: A question about hot backup process [message #380734 is a reply to message #380210] Tue, 13 January 2009 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mymailbox.21
hi it is possible from 10g to place entire database into begin backup mode. also instead of following so long procedure why can;t shift to rman which provides very easy backup methods.

rman backup will take less time to complete and also very less space as it takes only backup of used blocks.
Re: A question about hot backup process [message #380739 is a reply to message #380734] Tue, 13 January 2009 03:19 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Once again your post does add nothing, OP said he will test RMAN.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Help me with Crosscheck command in RMAN!
Next Topic: ORA-16032
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 01:11:33 CDT 2024