Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » I/O configuaration
I/O configuaration [message #365797] Fri, 04 February 2000 11:43 Go to next message
Rodney Humble
Is there any problem with only using one controller card when stripping across multiple disk in a new Highend NT system?
Re: I/O configuaration [message #365802 is a reply to message #365797] Sun, 06 February 2000 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales
Hi,

what do you mean with striping, RAID 0 or RAID 5? With RAID 0 you'll lost all data in the event of disk crash, no matter how many controllers you have. If you wan't high availability then setup a combination of RAID 1 and RAID 5 with duplexing (two disk controllers).
I don't know anyone who dare to run a production database on striping set without parity on NT. Two years ago I run production Oracle7 database on NT 4 with software RAID 1/5 enabled. I found that RAID 5 works and RAID 1 does not. After breaking and restoring a mirror couple of times I always got an old version of control file that was from the time of database startup (it's how ftdisk.sys works). NT RAID 1 is perhapse OK for file servers but not for database. If you can ($$) then avoid SW RAID and invest in good RAID controller card. If you choose striping set without parity then good luck, because you'll need it ;-)

Ales
Re: I/O configuaration [message #365812 is a reply to message #365797] Mon, 07 February 2000 17:39 Go to previous message
andy
I have run succesfully a financial system on a Raid 5 config for 3 years. Data/Control and logs all on the same array.

Choose a good controller, mylex with plenty of cache.

I have 7.3.4 - be carefull on NT systems running sqlplus in dos as it has a nasty habit of blue screening !!

Andy.
Previous Topic: How can I tell if an index is working
Next Topic: Does the order of tables in the FROM clause affect the outcome of a query?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:07:16 CDT 2024