Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » A question about cold backup (Oracle 9i and 10g databases on Solaris 8)
A question about cold backup [message #365055] Wed, 10 December 2008 14:07 Go to next message
orausern
Hi,

I have a question about cold backup. We have a sun server that is going to be rebuild entirely due to some hardware issues. it is dev. db and it is on noarchivelog mode. I have the cold backup of databases. (all the control files, datafiles and I also copied redo log files)
but the restore operation says that, for restoring the database only the control and datafiles should be restored and redo log files should not be restored. my question is: in that case how will oracle find the online redo log files? because the server is rebuilt, in the directory of online redologs, there will be no files, so does that work?
I mean i should give recover database until cancel but will oracle create the new redo log files by itself?

Thanks
Nirav
Re: A question about cold backup [message #365069 is a reply to message #365055] Wed, 10 December 2008 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sonumalhi
# Restore the database from a consistent, whole database backup (datafiles and control files) as described in "Restoring Datafiles Before Performing Incomplete Recovery". For example, enter:

% cp /disk2/backup/*.dbf $ORACLE_HOME/oradata/trgt/

# Mount the database:

STARTUP MOUNT

# Because online redo logs are not backed up, you cannot restore them with the datafiles and control files. In order to allow the database to reset the online redo logs, you must first mimic incomplete recovery:

RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL
CANCEL

# Open the database using the RESETLOGS option:

ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

# Shut down the database consistently. For example, enter:

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

# Make a whole database backup.

This will recreate the redologs as mentioned in the control files..
Re: A question about cold backup [message #365071 is a reply to message #365055] Wed, 10 December 2008 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
If you did a consistent shutdown and copied all the datafiles, controlfiles and redo log files, then you can place all these files in the appropriate directories and simply start the database up. No need to recover database or resetlogs.
Re: A question about cold backup [message #365341 is a reply to message #365071] Thu, 11 December 2008 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thank you ebrian and sonumalhi. You guys are just fantastic!! today I tested the approach of putting back all the CRD files and starting up the database andit worked fine without any issues.

Thanks for the selfless help!!
Nirav
Re: A question about cold backup [message #365645 is a reply to message #365055] Thu, 11 December 2008 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sonumalhi
Yeah Norav is right, there is no need to open in RESETLOGS and RECOVER if u have consistent backup and redo logs.

Above mentioned steps are useful if you dont want to use OLD REDOLOGS,or u have lost your REDOLOGS and have consistent backup of datafiles and redofiles.
Re: A question about cold backup [message #365646 is a reply to message #365055] Thu, 11 December 2008 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sonumalhi
Sorry i mean consistent backup of datafiles and control file not redologs
Re: A question about cold backup-one other question [message #375999 is a reply to message #365646] Mon, 15 December 2008 11:05 Go to previous message
orausern
Hi,

I had another question about restoring the cold backup. My database is in noarchivelog mode and after taking a consistent cold backup, all I need to do is to restore the backup right? -Why I got this question is because: when I backup my control file to trace, I see statements like this:
[i]-- Commands to re-create incarnation table
-- Below log names MUST be changed to existing filenames on
-- disk. Any one log file from each branch can be used to
-- re-create incarnation records.
-- ALTER DATABASE REGISTER LOGFILE '/uo1/app1/arch1_1_647102958.dbf';
-- Recovery is required if any of the datafiles are restored backups,
-- or if the last shutdown was not normal or immediate.
RECOVER DATABASE
-- Database can now be opened normally.
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;[/i]

My database is in noarchivelog mode now so don't know why these statements (of register the logfile) is there in the backup of control file? so when I restore the cold backup of this database, it will still work correct? (there is no logfile I have only CRD files in cold backup -no archive log files.)

thanks
Nirav

[Updated on: Mon, 15 December 2008 11:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: USERS01.DBF issue
Next Topic: Restoring database from full export backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 01:30:06 CDT 2024