Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Oracle failover options (10g)
Oracle failover options [message #364705] Tue, 09 December 2008 13:29 Go to next message
revo1059
Hi, I'm trying to figure out the most "cost effective (cough,CHEAP,cough)" way to implement a failover database. We are using Oracle 10g Standard Edition One (if 11g offers something 10g doesn't for this I can switch). Here is what I need

The client has a 24 hour retail location, but late at night it's fairly dead. Right now all they are doing is running exports (on a 15GB database it takes a couple of hours). Not the best method, but it has saved us in the past (except a full import takes FOREVER). What I want to do is have a 2nd machine that can be quickly used if the main machine goes down. I don't need the 2nd machine to sync back with the main machine, so it's a 1 way sync. Is there a cheap way to do this on Standard Edition One? It also needs to be fairly automatic as far as the syncing goes. If they need to switch because of a failure, we could handle that. Even if it's a daily sync so the most they would potentially lose is 24 hours of data, I could live with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Oracle is running on Suse Enterprise 10 and the location has a WinXP system with oracle server installed as well. If this can be done cross platfrom, great, if not then the client will get a spare Linux box.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 December 2008 13:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle failover options [message #364707 is a reply to message #364705] Tue, 09 December 2008 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The best option (as you use SE) is standby database (but not Data Guard with or without broker which requires EE).
You can find many scripts on the Web to setup the standby and automatically ship archived logs as this was the way we used standby databases in versions 7 and 8.x.

A condition, both server must have the same OS.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle failover options [message #364708 is a reply to message #364705] Tue, 09 December 2008 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> Even if it's a daily sync so the most they would potentially lose is 24 hours of data, I could live with that
RMAN duplication. 15 GB is minuscule. Infact, even our export/imports should not take "that long".
>>It also needs to be fairly automatic as far as the syncing goes
dataguard. Only enterprise price edtion.
>>If this can be done cross platfrom, grea
Not for this purpose. RMAN can be used to migrate between different OS. But this is not meant for DR purposes.
Re: Oracle failover options [message #364943 is a reply to message #364705] Wed, 10 December 2008 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
revo1059
I tried setting up the primary database as described below

http://is.rice.edu/~mhyder/oracle/standby1.txt

and I get ORA--439 Feature not Enabled Managed Standby
Re: Oracle failover options [message #364955 is a reply to message #364943] Wed, 10 December 2008 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
As we both said you can't use dataguard in SE.
You have to manually (that is using shell script) move the archived logs from one location to the other one.
Don't search any 9i or up related script, search for 8i and before ones.

Regards
Michel
Re: Oracle failover options [message #394581 is a reply to message #364955] Fri, 27 March 2009 19:57 Go to previous message
mlaunce
Take a look at Dbvisit (www.dbvisit.com). This is an alternative to Data Guard but works for Oracle Standard Edition, Standard One and XE. Works with all versions of Oracle from 8i onwards.
Has all the features of Data Guard including Graceful Switchover, failover, multiple standby databases, reporting standby databases and supports Oracle RAC, but is much simpler to use.
Compresses the archive log files before transfer so saving on bandwidth. Has build-in alerting and monitoring.
There is a free 30 day trial. New version 5.2 will even automatically create the standby database.
Previous Topic: db consistent issue
Next Topic: Rman not backing up Archivelog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:22:17 CDT 2024