Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? (10.2.0.3 on Solaris 8)
Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? [message #363414] Sun, 07 December 2008 03:19 Go to next message
orausern
Hi,

I have a oracle 10g development database which is on Solaris 8 server. I have to keep its cold backup as one of the disk is diagnosed to have some issues and it is going to be replace in short time by the SUN people.

I shutdown the db and copied some of the CRD files on another Solaris server which is Solaris 8 and rest of the CRD files to a second Solaris server which is Solaris 10. My doubt is since the source DB is on Solaris 8, there won't be any issue in keeping its backup on Solaris 10 server right? I know that the cold backup from Solaris cannot be kept on Windows because else it will get corrupted, my doubt is , can similar thing happen if Solaris version is different (Solaris 8 and Solaris 10)?
Losing data is not a concern, this is a dev. db and I have export backups.

Also in connection to the same issue, is it possible for me to keep the entire backup on my pc (windows xp professional) by doing transportable tablespace backup and not taking the cold backup at all?

Thanks,
Nirav

[Updated on: Sun, 07 December 2008 03:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? [message #364264 is a reply to message #363414] Sun, 07 December 2008 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
You shouldn't have any problem keeping the files on Solaris 8, 9 or 10. If you transfer the files to a Windows filesystem, you should ftp the files in binary mode.
Re: Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? [message #364303 is a reply to message #364264] Sun, 07 December 2008 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
About putting the cold backup on windows, I thought it won't work even if we transfer in binary mode...due to the endian format difference.

Unluckily we don't have enough space on solaris server, I don't have tape backups so I am trying to find how to manage storing the cold backup.

Thanks
Nirav
Re: Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? [message #364405 is a reply to message #364303] Mon, 08 December 2008 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
To simply store the files on the Windows side should not pose a problem. You wouldn't be able to actually use the files on the Windows side without performing transportable tablespaces conversion with RMAN.

What you should do is copy the files to the Windows side and then copy them back to the Solaris side and ensure the process satisfies your needs.
Re: Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? [message #364409 is a reply to message #364405] Mon, 08 December 2008 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
One problem I saw for example, was that: file permissions of those dbf files got changed! when just to test, i transferred back one dbf file from windows to Solaris the permissions were changed! Even I read in some posts like: http://www.geekinterview.com/question_details/60292

that it won't work that way...

but then I spoke to our sysadmin who said that: you first tar the files then zip it and then send to windows and then this problem won't arise...I am not sure tonight I will test that out but I cant take chances with these backups so trying to find as much info. on this as possible..

Thanks,
Nirav
Re: Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? [message #364414 is a reply to message #364409] Mon, 08 December 2008 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
That page references "use it on windows NT". That is different than storing it on Windows.

I completely understand your apprehension, especially if you are relying on this for backup. That's why it's always good to test it for yourself.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 December 2008 05:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? [message #364418 is a reply to message #364414] Mon, 08 December 2008 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thank you for your kind help ebrian! I am almost raising request to purchase tape backup agent as I in my mind ruled out that this will work. I still don't understand why those file permissions got changed though!

Thanks
Nirav
Re: Oracle cold backup can be stored partly on Solaris 8 and Solaris 10? [message #364433 is a reply to message #364418] Mon, 08 December 2008 08:01 Go to previous message
ebrian
The change in file permissions is an FTP thing. Check How to set the FTP umask.
Previous Topic: missing archivelog
Next Topic: Database Cloning Coping the DBF file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 00:14:19 CDT 2024