Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Sys Admin needs Oracle 10g r2 backup to DLT tape solution (Oracle 10g r2 RAC, 10.2.0.3, Solari 10 5.10)
Sys Admin needs Oracle 10g r2 backup to DLT tape solution [message #357473] Wed, 05 November 2008 08:59
harrismg
Hi all,
I've just been given the task of coming up with a tape backup solution for a small Sun network of 13 SunFire V245 and Sun T2000's.
My boss gave me an HP Proliant DL380 server (Windows 2003 server OS), a Compaq Storageworks TL891DLX tape device, and Symantec Backup Exec for Windows 11d. He wants me to figure out if we can use the 11d on a Windows based server with Unix agents to backup the Sun local drives to the tape device.

Across the Sun servers I'll be trying to backup local disks running Sunray, N1, LDAP, and a production cluster with Oracle 10g r2 RAC. I have the Oracle database on a set of arrays with ASM & raw devices -- currently my boss hasn't said to backup the database to tape (the db is about 100G), but I imagine that I'll have to in the future. If I use the current Symantec product, I'll have to purchase unix agent license I think.
I'd love input from your experience using Symantec. My boss has said that I can ask for Netbackup, or a more appropriate solution that will work.
I'm currently researching Metalink for comparisons and contrasts to each product. I also have a software salesman researching cost comparisons, but I don't want to just go with information from the salesman. I'd really appreciate anyones professional advice from experience.

Thanks
Mike
Previous Topic: incerase tablespace through wizard
Next Topic: To recover deleted rows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 23:14:28 CDT 2024