Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Running multiple versions of Oracle (oracle 6 and oracle 9 on XP)
Running multiple versions of Oracle [message #356469] Thu, 30 October 2008 19:23 Go to next message
imog
I'm looking to find out if running 9i and 6 is possible.

Oracle 9i is built into systems we deploy, however a user installed version 6 for some specific needs. After doing this, applications depending on version 9 fail to operate correctly and prompt with an error message stating that we need to properly set the oracle home directory.

How should I address that?

I've read a bit about oracle home directories and it appears you can set the home directory from the command line. I've also read however that versions before oracle 8.04 are not multi-home aware, so perhaps these versions can't be installed and working concurrently? Any suggestions for running multiple versions of oracle on a single machine?

Thanks,
Matt

[Updated on: Thu, 30 October 2008 23:47] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Running multiple versions of Oracle [message #356513 is a reply to message #356469] Thu, 30 October 2008 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Only one advice: get rid of version 6, there is no reason to use it.

Regards
Michel
Re: Running multiple versions of Oracle [message #356524 is a reply to message #356513] Fri, 31 October 2008 00:19 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Hm, just an idea ... if you don't have to use both Oracle database versions at the same time, perhaps you might create a dual boot machine and switch from one to another when necessary.
Previous Topic: Old client silent install
Next Topic: Installing Oracle developer suite on Vista
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:40:00 CDT 2024