Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Complete Recovery using OEM after a server crash (Oracle Database 10g 10.1.0.5.0)
Complete Recovery using OEM after a server crash [message #353020] Fri, 10 October 2008 11:13 Go to next message
Firearm
I'm working on our recovery plan and wanted to test out the recovery in the case of a full system crash (Windows 2003). I currently am using the Oracle Suggested backup using the Oracle Enterprise Manager. My flash recovery area is located on another server. Everything is working great, I can do point in time recovery and all that cool stuff.

My question is, what happens when the whole database and server are lost? My first step obviously is to get a new server and install Oracle.

What is my next step. I have read the 2 day DBA and even the Backup and Recovery (Basics and Advanced) but must have missed the procedure or scenario I am talking about with the OEM.

How do you recover with OEM when you don't have an OEM to start with? Do I create a general purpose database which in turn gives me the OEM. Then somehow perform the recovery on those files in the flash recovery area?

The references seem to skip the steps up to that point in recovery. They start by using the OEM...
Re: Complete Recovery using OEM after a server crash [message #353023 is a reply to message #353020] Fri, 10 October 2008 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I would not "totally rely" on OEM to backup and restores.
Use RMAN directly. Nothing wrong with OEM.
It only adds more complexity and downtime.
Re: Complete Recovery using OEM after a server crash [message #353169 is a reply to message #353020] Sun, 12 October 2008 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

I am not aware of whether disaster recovery can be performed with OEM.
But practicing anything with OEM means you are adding extra layer, extra complexity, more bugs.
Re: Complete Recovery using OEM after a server crash [message #353667 is a reply to message #353169] Tue, 14 October 2008 09:09 Go to previous message
Firearm
It seems to me that the OEM is simply using RMAN in the background since you can see the scripts it creates. I think the OEM was meant to easily monitor and setup backup and recovery. The OEM itself doesn't actually do anything but setup the scripts. Anyway thanks for the feedback, I'll look at using the RMAN directly as I have in the past. I was just wanting to see how it was done using the OEM.
Previous Topic: Problem with RMAN script.
Next Topic: oracle restore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:38:36 CDT 2024