Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Business Intelligence » Custom or Dynamic Hierarchy (OBIEE)
Custom or Dynamic Hierarchy [message #349370] Sat, 20 September 2008 14:05 Go to next message
sangansa
Hi,

Can someone help me if we can create a "Custom Hierarchy" in OBIEE?

I have a requirement as follows :

One of the hierarchy requirement :
Region_Group-->Region-->Technology--->Sub_Technology-->WW_APC-->GL_APC-->Plant_location

Dimension Tables are as follows :
1) Country_Group (It has Region_Group and Region)
2) GL_APC (It has Technology, Sub_Technology,WW_APC,GL_APC)
3) CFC_Org (It has Plant_location)

The above hierarchy is one of the many hierarchies. User has requirement that it can select any dimension column at any level at run time. For eg. user can select the following hierarchy :

Technology--->Sub_Technology-->Plant_location--->Region_group--Region

So at run time depending on the input of the user, the drill down path for the report should change.

It cannot select a child after parent for a dimension. For eg. user cannot select the following :
Sub_Technology-->Technology--->......
This is because for GL_APC dimension, Technology is parent of Sub_technology, then Sub_technology is parent of WW_APC and WW_APC is parent of GL_APC.
Similarly REGION_GROUP is parent of REGION in the Country_group dimension.

Is the above dynamic or custom hierarchy possible in OBIEE?

Thanks in advance
Sagar

Re: Custom or Dynamic Hierarchy [message #355611 is a reply to message #349370] Sun, 26 October 2008 06:25 Go to previous message
skooman
As far as I know, this is not possible (and I doubt if there is any tool that can do this).

In OBIEE, you can accomplish something very close using navigated links (so, create the request in many possible combinations and create links pointing from one variation of the request to all the others). But in this example that would mean a huge amount of variations and that will be impossible to maintain later on. So, you better get back to the one requisting this, if you can find an alternative. Have a look at column selectors, perhaps that will help.
Previous Topic: Chinese font in XML Publisher
Next Topic: replace null in report
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:18:19 CDT 2024